Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A message to my American Friends..

Twenty four hours ago, I was watching events in New Orleans unfolding, on Fox News cable tv. Here it was late at night - over there, early in the morning, and the horror was just beginning for the residents of three States. This morning, I turned on the t.v. again, 10 am Melbourne time, and of course, the night before over there. Things just got worse and worse. I have heard from some of my Blog Friends in the USA, assuring me they are safe and well. That is great to hear. But so many people over there are not safe and well. It is at times like this I am reminded of why Australia is called The Lucky Country, and again, I am truly grateful to the Powers That Be that I was lucky enough to be born here, and have chosen to continue living here. Oh sure, we have our natural disasters like any other place in the world, but the USA seems to have far more than its fair share. Tornadoes are I believe a regular occurence in certain states every year. Hurricanes seem to be flying into Florida and the Gulf more often this year than at any time before (I may be wrong about that). And I heard that there were bushfires (wildfires I think the Americans call them) out of control in California at the moment.

Nothing I can say or do will make any difference to these catastrophes, but I would like to let my American blog friends know that my thoughts are with you. I am hoping that you are all okay, and that your families and friends are too. Having visited the USA several times, I have wonderful memories of the places and the people, and I am very distressed to see this terrible destruction and the inevitable consequences to the people.
{{{{hugs to you all}}}}

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Gina, I haven't seen the news this morning yet...just about to turn the tv on..thanks for posting this..and I will do the same on mine x x

Wednesday, 31 August, 2005  
Blogger Kali said...

It brings back memories of when Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin on Christmas morning 1974, and even though I was only 5, still have vivid flashbacks...My prayers and thoughts to each and everyone affected by this tragedy.

Wednesday, 31 August, 2005  
Blogger melissa said...

What a sweet post. Thanks from an American friend. I live in the southern US and our city is playing host to many who've run to other states to escape the mess.

It'll take time to get life back to some sense of normal, but it'll happen. Just take time.

Again, thanks!

Thursday, 01 September, 2005  
Blogger Monica said...

Gina, A lovely sentiment and I as an American truly appreciate it. I lived through one of the worst Tornados in Texas history in 1979 and my cousin lost her home in Biloxi this week but thankfully not her life or her husband's.

Prayers for all of us when tragedy strikes close to home, no matter what country we're from.

Friday, 02 September, 2005  
Blogger Sunny Wright said...

Hello, I am Sunny. I am just appauled at the lack of response our fellow counrtymen have had toward the relief effort for the hurricane aftermath. I have posted some of my thoughts on my blog. I am glad that you wonderful people around the world are sending your heartfelt thoughts and prayers to those victime. I looked at everyone's blogs that have posted here. They are beautiful. I love the pictures and the artwork. Keep praying for those victims. You are a wonderful bunch.

Saturday, 03 September, 2005  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Again Gina, thank you so much for your kind thoughts for the people of my country.

Wednesday, 07 September, 2005  
Blogger Gina E. said...

You're very welcome, Pam. I wasn't old enough to remember the second World War, but I have heard enough from the elderly people in my care, who experienced it in the prime of their lives, just how much we owed the Americans in our hour of need. SOME of us will never forget.

Thursday, 08 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!