Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Some fascinating websites.

I was reading Pam's blog tonight, and she mentions a website called Ginger's Diary, which is the diary of a 17 year old girl living in Hawaii at the time of the bombing of Pearl Harbour. Not having lived in a war zone anywhere myself, I am interested to read how other people have survived their experiences, so I went in there and had a look. It is a fascinating read - and the comments from those who have viewed the site also make interesting reading. I commented on Pam's blog that the movie "Pearl Harbor" affected me deeply. I cried nearly all the way through it the first time we saw it at the movies, and when Ken bought the DVD I swore I would not sit through it again. But I did, when he showed it to other people, and I am still tearful through much of the movie.

I asked Pam what she thought about the proposed movies on 9/11, and said again, I would not want to watch any of those at all. That day had to be the worst day of my life. Ken was on a life support system in hospital and not expected to live, and I was watching Fox News on cable tv because I couldn't sleep (it was about 10.30 pm in Melbourne). When those planes rammed the Twin Towers, and the subsequent events started to unfold, I thought my world had come to an end. Even now when I see a film clip on tv, I have to turn away. What do my readers here think - is it too soon for a movie about 9/11?

While on the subject of war, I found a rather unique blog via a link on another blog (they go on and on, don't they - these links!). This one is a journal by a soldier stationed in Iraq, with plenty of photos of the people he is involved with. Now I am not going to get bogged down in discussions, let alone arguments - about the situation in Iraq, and if you the reader, do not want to visit this blog, it doesn't matter to me at all. I put it here simply because I like to see the stories that the media don't print, and this is a classic example. Go see!

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Yes, I agree everyone has a right to read what they wish - and at least I find it refreshing that he is honest about what section he is working for in Iraq - the media office. So I really do have to consider if this is just spin dressed up.

Not that I have read it all, but that is how it reads to me.

Friday, 26 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!