Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Brighter slant on a catastrophic subject.

I read the following post on Finn's Blog (Pieces From My Scrapbag) and after I read it, I felt like I was starting to wake up from a nightmare...slowly realising that the world has not, and will not come to an end, no matter how bad things are at times. I posted a comment on Finn's blog and said I would be quoting her here. I hope she doesn't mind, but this is well worth reading:

Nothing seems to feel normal. Kind of like someone came along and gave the world a good, swift kick and sent it spinning wonky off it's normal-ness. I suppose technically we are not affected, in Wisconsin, by the disaster on the golf coast. But, like 9/11, it feels like everyone is changed by this. It's upsetting in a way similar to the war in Iraq. You don't want it to be your reality. Don't want it to change the flow of your life. But it does.

I begin to realize that these things keep happening, have happened over all the years behind us, and will happen until time is no longer measured. Name it..you got it..the dust bowl years, the depression years, all the war years from the revolt against England to the Civil War to today's war in Iraq. And what can I do about it?

Just about as much as everyone else...everything and nothing. It feels like trying to empty the ocean with a waterglass.
As well as these and other words of wisdom, Finn does the most beautiful quilting and patchwork, so do take a minute to view her photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!