Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

One door closed, but two have opened!

Well, as some of you said after my earlier post about Ken losing his job, when a door closes, another will open. What an apt cliche! Ken didn't waste any time putting out feelers for another job, and he started by talking to the bosses at National, who have contacts in many places. One job offered to him was as a Security officer for Park And Ride. Most people reading this will not know what on earth that means, so a brief explanation is in order.

Park And Ride are large carparks around the suburbs of Melbourne, where commuters in the outer suburbs can drive to, park their cars for the day (at no cost) and catch the bus into the city to their workplace. At the end of their day, they hop back on a bus to the Park And Ride carpark, and drive their car back home. The idea is to reduce traffic on the roads into the city. One person is in charge of the car park at all times, for a 10 hour shift. As well as keeping an eye on the cars, he keeps a check on the buses that come and go, and the number of people getting off and on - this is for statistical purposes. Ken spent a couple of afternoons there, getting a feel for it, but the boss admitted there was no guarantee of a job immediately.

So Ken spoke to another ex-bus manager who is now managing a courier service for Melbourne Pathology - one of the companies who carry out blood etc. tests for doctors and hospitals. The manager was delighted to see Ken and offered him a part time job on the spot, which Ken accepted on the spot! He is to work 5 days a week, 5 hours a day in the mornings. He started last Thursday, so has only worked three days, and still has some reservations about the work. He is happy driving around all over the place (he used to be a courier, so he knows his way around Melbourne), and he says the places he goes to are fascinating, but there is so much to remember! Well, join the real world baby! New jobs tend to make you feel like that! So, I am happy for him as long as he doesn't get too stressed, and as long as the boss doesn't ask him to work longer hours. If he does, I will be calling him to discuss it (haven't told Ken this!) because the cardiologist has warned Ken about working long hours and getting overtired.

So that's where we are at the moment. Tomorrow I am taking two of my elderly ladies out to a pre-Christmas lunch. It is going to be a stinker of a day - by that I mean HOT - 30 deg.C (90 deg.F) so we aren't going far - just to a cafe that recently opened in our local shopping centre.

And before I forget (again!) here is the next picture in my series of Yesterday's Ladies!

4 Comments:

Blogger Finding My Way said...

Oh Gina,
I'm so happy for you and Ken. I hope things continue to work out for the both of you. :-)
As far as that temp report. Hmmmmm I would love to be experiencing that right now. It's only 15 degrees F. There's some snow. I'm wrapped up in lots of layers. The sun is out but I would love to have some heat to go with it. lol
Have a wonderful Day.
Patty

Tuesday, 06 December, 2005  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

that is wonderful news about the job. At least Ken has something to keep him busy & like you say - as long as he doesn't get too stressed.
30 degrees is not hot ! Not sure how hot it gets in Melbourne but sometimes in February, we can have days of 40 to 45 degrees. yuck.

Tuesday, 06 December, 2005  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you Patty and Robyn. Ken had a bad day on Tuesday and threatened to 'throw the towel in', but the boss talked him into giving himself more time to adjust, and he was a lot happier on Wednesday night! No self confidence, that is his problem.

Thursday, 08 December, 2005  
Blogger Laurie said...

Gina ~ I am glad to hear about Ken's shop,I am thinking about you and hope you are doing o.k.

Thursday, 08 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!