Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ken's babies and other feathered friends.

These two Rainbow Lorikeets are regular visitors to the feeding station on our front porch. We had some galahs there as well today, but they are a bit more flighty than these, and took off in a flap when I came out with the camera.

This aviary is one of four, which were once filled with several species of Australian native birds, but they all died off eventually, and Ken lost interest. Somebody gave him a budgie, so he bought another to keep it company. So far there have been no eggs in the nest box, but these two are still new to each other, so it will take time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Don't you love it when the native birds come to visit. There seems to be so many more in the suburbs these days ... wonder it it's cause of the drought. I have an apricot tree in my backyard, and it is often full of lorikeets. And we often see black cockatoos flying through the area ... amazing !!
LOve your kitty pics ... Topsy is gorgeous, with the little white neck patch. too cute.
Have a great weekend.
Take care, Meow

Friday, 30 March, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, Nice photo's of your cats. nice close up pic of the Lorikeets on your veranda. we get a lot of birds in our eara also. have a great weekend

Saturday, 31 March, 2007  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hi Gina, nothing to do with the lovely photos you've posted. You asked me where I went to Toastmasters. I was a member of Talking Blue and 505, both of which were CBD based. There's every chance we did meet - it's one of the things I love about Toastmasters.

I did go to a club here in Canberra for a little while, but they were badly organised and it was easier to stop going than to persist. I'm sure that I'll rejoin at some stage. I really do enjoy it.

I hope that you're well enough to rejoin at some stage too. Thanks for your comment on my blog. It's lovely to hear from readers, isn't it?

I must say, I'm very impressed by the number of blogs you have. You certainly have a lot of interests.

Saturday, 31 March, 2007  
Blogger Crazee4books said...

Hi Gina, Wow!! If something like those colourful birds ever showed up at our feeding station I'd probably hyperventilate! Being a cold, northern climate we don't get birds such as this, although we do have Cardinals, Gold Finches, Blue Jays and Downy Wood peckers. Then again, after reading Anne's blog and learning about the Huntsman Spider she met coming home from work one night I'm mighty glad that I live in a colder climate after all. Sheesh!
Your cat is so beautiful. I love black cats. So mysterious. Cheers

Sunday, 01 April, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thanks for visiting, all of you nice people! Will drop in to see you soon.

Sunday, 01 April, 2007  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Hi Gina,
The birds are beautiful. The pet store by us charges anywhere from 100.00 and higher and they just come and visit. How neat! Have a great week.
Patty

Monday, 02 April, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Patty, I laughed at your comment about the lorikeets costing so much to buy over there, but they just visit us - lol! I told Ken and he said to buy them in a pet shop here, they cost about A$70 a pair. The reason is because they are a protected species - people are not allowed to just capture them in their backyards or the wild, and put them into cages. The birds sold in pet shops are bred by people who have special licences (Ken has one, as he used to breed a lot of native parrots).

Monday, 02 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!