Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Anzac Day.

Ken and I are always deeply affected on Anzac Day. We always watch The March on t.v. all the way through to the ceremony at the Shrine, and then we usually watch most of the documentaries and/or movies relating to that time in our history. Neither of us had family members who died (or were even in the services) during any wars in the past century, but we still have the greatest respect for those who sacrificed their lives for Australia. And I don't mean those who died on the battlefields. I have seen enough elderly men and women in nursing homes who have suffered for the rest of their lives, physically and emotionally, from the effects of one or the other of the two World Wars. For anyone overseas reading this post, who doesn't know about our Anzac Day, go to this link:
Australian War Memorial - Anzac Day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

My grandfather was wounded at Gallipoli, and really when he was alive I took it for granted. It's just in recent years, I've thought - wow, that must have been a terrible experience.

Four stone (by the way, that's how we reckon weight, still) - you must have been so thin! (re your comment on my recent post). I don't think I've been four stone since I was about six.

Friday, 27 April, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gina, did you watch Curtin on Sunday night? I sniffled nearly all the way through. My father served in the 8th Division but was invalided home before the fall of Singapore and thus escaped Changi. I grew up knowing the regiments of my parent's friends and that the father of the little girl who lived three doors up was killed in Borneo Death March. I guess that's part of the reason why I sniffled - the history was real.

Friday, 27 April, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

O! Gina the march would have looked great in your lounge room it is such an important day isn't it I feel our history is something to be ever so proud of.

OM! GOSH! It was your birthday what a lovely morning it looked like you had Breakfast eating out is our favourite thing to do so you will have to do that all over again and show us one day the great formal home, we have some over this way as well and know you would love them too.

Now you and miss eagle and Sharon have a great time shopping at all those places "I would love to see too with you all" so please promise me next time you all organise another shopping trip can I still come even if I have taken a rain check on this one. I do want to go with you all.

Take lots of photos and I will enjoy looking at them from up here.

Love to Ken.......and you my dear friend. Lee-ann

Friday, 27 April, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

I always go to our anzac march and show my respect. health permitting,

Sunday, 29 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!