Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Something funny..and update on Helen.


...well, pathetic really. This is what I'm doomed to wear from now on when my neck gives me grief. Doc was a bit shocked I think, when he got the report on my cervical spine X-Rays last week. He said the degeneration is quite severe, and there is nothing that can be done, except wear this neck brace for support whenever I feel the need for it, or take anti-inflammatory drugs. (I'll only resort to those if I can't sleep). I am forced to admit that losing my job now was probably the best thing that could have happened, given the state of my neck and back. Doc. said if I kept on doing physical work for another five years, I'm likely to end up in a wheelchair with my own carers! He says I should try again at Centrelink for a disability pension, so I will, but if I don't get that, I'll just have to fall back on my superannuation.

Having a crook neck and back is still preferable to being left paralysed by a stroke. Helen's husband Ray phoned me this afternoon to say they are back home in Melbourne (arrived on Sunday night). Helen is in the Stroke Unit at the Austin Hospital, but will probably be moved soon to the Royal Talbot Rehab. centre. Ray said she has very little movement on her left side, and her speech, while she can make herself understood, is nowhere near normal. I hope to visit her in the next few days, so if any blog friends would like me to pass on their regards, just leave a comment at the foot of this post.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Oh, yes, please pass along my well wishes to Helen. I'm glad she's back closer to home. I miss reading her posts.

I'm sorry to hear of your own health problems but glad they caught it when they did before it got any worse. I hope you don't mind if I say that your hair is the prettiest color, just beautiful.

Wednesday, 10 October, 2007  
Blogger Pam said...

Do pass on my best wishes to Helen too, and my hopes that she'll improve as time goes on.

Sorry about your neck, but if you get to retire... sounds like a silver lining...

Wednesday, 10 October, 2007  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, Yes please tell Helen a "big country hug" is wizzing her way! from me out here.

Retire Yes! Gina I know there is always the money problems in life but your health and "your time" is so important.......I for one look forward to visiting you catching up and having a nice cup of tea & a chat on any of your "extended holiday" days

Lee-ann

Wednesday, 10 October, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Please pass on my best wishes to Helen.

Gina, I am sorry to hear about your ongoing neck and back problems ... stopping work may be the best thing. Please look after yourself.

LOoking forward to the picnic next week ... what are we doing ?? Do we have a theme ?? Sandwiches, nibbles, gourmet, champers ???

Take care, Connie

Wednesday, 10 October, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina. please pass on my best wishes to Helen also.. Sooo sorry to come and read all your health promlems, I think you retiring sounds a blessing in disguise.

Love your mauve garden photo's..
ill be back soon as i can my computer still in Bundoora..

BTW, have fun at that blogging picnic take pleny of photo's

Wednesday, 10 October, 2007  
Blogger Anne S said...

Sorry to hear about the job saga - but I'm glad you're finally looking after #1 ... just think, you may even have more time to stitch on that indian! ;P haha (yeah, yeah, you can punch me later!)

Thursday, 11 October, 2007  
Blogger RUTH said...

I'm so sorry to here about your own problems; thank goodness you have stopped work now. Please give my best to Helen and her family; I'm glad to hear that she is back in Melbourne as it must be far easier for her family and friends to visit. Does the hospital have an email facility too???
{{HUGS}} to you and Helen
Rx

Thursday, 11 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!