Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My plans for the coming year.

I did not make any new year resolutions, and I am not setting 'goals' for myself this year. But I am planning to do a few things that I've been wanting to do for years, such as learning to draw and paint. I derived such enjoyment from the Owls drawing workshop I took last year, that I've booked myself into another workshop in February with the same artist. This time we will be drawing Rainbow Lorikeets.

Another art media I've never had any formal lessons in is with oils and acrylic paints. So I've booked into a six week course at the Eltham Living And Learning Centre, to learn how to paint using acrylic paints. I also want to take a course in using watercolours, but that will have to wait until later in the year when the next syllabus for the Living And Learning Centre is released, as there were no classes in watercolour painting in the first term.

In my usual impatient style, I couldn't wait until the classes before I tried out my new acrylic paints! So after browsing through a heap of books borrowed from the library, I decided I knew enough to have a go. This is what I painted today - a pair (male and female) of Gouldian Finches. I printed off a couple of photos I'd taken earlier, and based my painting on those images.


I've got a long way to go before I'm ready to put my stuff in the Homecrafts Show where I show my stitching, but who knows? Maybe by the end of this year I'll be competent enough to do so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Gina, you did a great job with this painting. Well done !! Have fun with the classes. See you soon xxx

Tuesday, 10 January, 2012  
Blogger FredaB said...

You will be the head of the class if you can draw this well already - no lessons either.

Harv does water colours and takes lesons at the senior centre in the summer. His teacher is 83 and still going strong. He and Harv are usually the only men and the rest usually women. Probably oar for the course.

I have no artistic talent with a brush, pen or pencil. Just with a needle.

Hugs and Happy New Year to both you and Ken.

FredaB

Wednesday, 11 January, 2012  
Blogger Sharon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, 11 January, 2012  
Blogger Sharon said...

take 2 - Looks like you are having a wow of a time... The finches look great - you will be very accomplished in no time at all... As usual I am a little envious - I wish I had a little more time... and energy :-}

Cheers

Sharon x

Wednesday, 11 January, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!