Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

An essay on Time.

When I was a kid, time seemed to drag.  It took forever for Christmas to come around every year.  I thought I'd never grow up to be an adult.  School seemed to go on forever, and I couldn't wait to start work.  Once I turned 20,  my friends started getting married off, and I could hardly wait to join them.  ( A few years later I could hardly wait till I got divorced)   I cruised along happily through my thirties, forties and into my fifties, never worrying or even thinking about getting old. 

Then reality hit me.   I didn't have the rest of my life stretching out in front of me for an eternity!  As I got into my sixties, the arthritis started.   First my neck - the legacy of a motorcycle accident 40 years ago.  Then my lower back - after 10 years of home care (read housework) for elderly and disabled, my spine had enough.  Feet and hands soon followed - probably brought about by riding motorcyles in cold and wet weather for 25 years to and from work.  My fingers and toes would be numb by the time I got to work or back home.

The latest bit of my poor old body to bite the dust is my left knee.  A month ago, my chiropractor noticed it was swollen and asked if it was painful (it wasn't).  He said to get it checked out, and my GP sent me for X-rays and ultra sound.  Last week I got the result.  Extensive osteo arthritis, inflamed bursar, other stuff.  My GP said she was surprised I could even walk.  S--T!  I never felt a thing!  She asked if I'd been kneeling down much, and I said not that I could think of, except to sort out my stash of fabrics when I was getting ready to do a patchwork project.  Or to sort out the dirty washing on the kitchen floor.  She said not to kneel down again.  For goodness sake...one thing I never did while I was cleaning houses, was get down on my hands and knees to scrub floors.  One or two clients demanded that I do that, but I flatly refused, and our supervisor supported me.  We were all instructed never to get down on our hands and knees to do housework of any kind!  I have got down to my knees this week to sort dirty washing and my patchwork fabrics - but I compromised and used a cushion to kneel on. 

I have to wear one of those elastic knee supports when I am walking around.  Thank goodness I wear jeans or other pants most of the time, and long skirts now and then.
Another 'first' for me at the doctor's was having an ear syringed.  I woke up one morning with one ear blocked, and couldn't clear it myself.  Thought it might have been an infection, but the GP looked and said no - just a build up of wax.  Is that old age too??  I have always cleaned my ears thoroughly,  despite Ken telling me that earbuds are dangerous.  Pffft.    Anyway, I had the ear syringed, and contrary to what people had been telling me, it was not unpleasant.  I rather enjoyed the gentle swishing sensation in my ear!

I said to Ken when I got home "I feel like an old woman - ears syringed and wearing an elastic leg support!"  He said "Well, you are an old woman".   THANK you, dear husband.  I really did not need to hear that!
So what has brought all this on?  This morning I turned the calendar over to May, and thought no, it can't be.  Where is the year going?  It will be Christmas again in a minute.
Do any of you feel like your lives are flying by so fast it's out of your control?   I thought when I retired I'd have all the time in the world.   I suppose I do, but I'm darned if I know what happens to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ I hope the bronchitis has gone, you have enough problems with arthritis all around your body. Do be careful not to kneel too much my friend.
Would you consider a walking stick? I got mine years ago and felt so safe with my third leg. Now I need 4 wheels darn it. I sort of hurt my back again and the toe was so sore with the bedclothes on it but is now feeling better and podiatrist thinks it is related to gout.Who Knows?
Do take great care my friend, Love, Merle.

Sunday, 06 May, 2012  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Gina

I am with you with time just flying by. It seems worse because of our back and forth. I am still trying to get settled and work on the outside.
Had to have 9 new fence posts in our long fence and then yesterday the sump pump went and there went almost 500.00 on each. Time and money just seem to fly out the window.
I too thought it would slow down when we retired.

I have trouble with one knee so I do not get down unless I absolutely have to. Then I use a knee pad or a folded towel to kneel on. Never had it checked but I know it is sore when I do kneel so don't do it.

Welcome to the world of growing older but it is better then the alternative. think of it that way and you wold feel better.

Hugs

Freda B

Saturday, 19 May, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!