Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Ken's 70th birthday party.

Ken's birthday isn't until Tuesday, but a party was out of the question on the day as most people are at work, so I planned to hold it today (Sunday).  Ken's favourite restaurant is a Chinese restaurant called "Noble House", just out of Eltham.  We have been going there once or twice a year for special occasions ever since it opened about 30 years ago.  They have a private room which holds 20 people, so I booked that early in the year, and we squeezed 20 adults and two little girls around the table.

It was supposed to be a surprise, but Ken got wind of it a few weeks ago, and was a bit nervous about it as he never knows what I've got planned for his birthdays!  Most of the time we just go out for dinner with friends, but for those birthdays ending with a zero, well, you just have to do something out of the box, don't you!  I thought about hiring a hall and having a BIG party with all our family and friends (probably about 100 people), but the cost of such an undertaking was a deterrent, let alone the planning and catering.  And Ken doesn't really like big parties for himself.   So I had to choose the guest list carefully.  I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings if I left them out,  so I based my decision on how long the guests have known Ken, and how close he is to them.   He has many more cousins, but I only invited three (with their partners), as we see more of them than we do the others.  The group of friends were those who we have known between 20 and 30 years, since we moved to Eltham.  The reason I did this was because I wanted this day to be not only a celebration of Ken's 70th birthday, but to celebrate the fact that he is still alive and well after a decade of serious health issues which have nearly cost him his life on more than one occasion.  These friends are the ones who have been there to give us support during those difficult times.

I took as many photos as I could, and other guest were also taking pictures, so I'm hoping they will email theirs to me eventually so I can add them to my photos on the blog I've created for the day.  Have a look here to see what I took.

3 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Happy Birthday to Ken!

Monday, 17 December, 2012  
Blogger Pam said...

Happy birthday from Scotland, Ken!

Tuesday, 18 December, 2012  
Blogger FredaB said...

What a wonderful party this looks to have been. Tell Ken Happy B-Day from his American/Canadian friends.

He received some neat giftsand the memory of this nice day will stay with both of you for a long time.

Hugs

FredaB

Saturday, 22 December, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!