Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

More about tradesmen.

Further to my post on Thursday about non-communicative tradesmen, the email I sent to Rainshield's managers had a positive reply.  Mr D. emailed me to say he understood our feelings, and that he was always on the back of his office staff to make follow up phone calls re delays, but last week was apparently a bad one with two key workers away because of illness or family related matters.  He promised that one of their plumbers will definitely be here on Monday to finish off the extra bits.  That pacified Ken to some degree but I don't think he will completely relax until the whole thing is completely finished, including the electricians' work.

As for R., the second plasterer that said he would be here on Friday between 3 and 4 pm, he did show up.  At 5.15 pm.  When he hadn't arrived by 10 past 4, I called his home number (I didn't have a mobile number for him) and left a very terse message telling him not to bother getting in touch with us if he can't get here when he promised.  About 4.30 our phone rang, and it was R, obviously on his mobile phone and in a car, as I could hear the sounds of traffic in the background.  He apologised profusely and explained that he'd been delayed on his last job, then he got caught up in a traffic jam.  Now that I can believe, having been in the same situation at the same time the day before.  He said he was on his way home to collect equipment for our job but wouldn't be here for another hour.  I said that would be fine, and told him there was a message from me on his answering machine and it would be best to ignore it.

When he arrived, I was sweeping leaves off the driveway, and he got out of his car and said with a grin "Are you Gina?"  I knew by the look on his face that he'd listened to my message!  Anyway, he was a very nice bloke - not much younger than us, as I'd guessed - and he did a great job fixing the hole in our kitchen ceiling.  While he was working, I'd been baking a fruit slice and I asked if he'd like a cuppa, to which he replied "I'd kill for one!  I've been on the go since 6 am this morning and haven't stopped", so I offered him some of the slice with his tea.  He complimented me on it, but didn't offer a discount on the price....lol.

1 Comments:

Blogger FredaB said...

I believe it is the same problem the world over. Waited 1 and 1/2 months for the brick guy to fix our brick sidewalk. Hired another man last week and Tues. he did it, power washed all the way around and put sand down.

Hugs
FredaB

Friday, 02 August, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!