Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Facebook the ultimate nightmare.

I've have done a stupid thing.  A REALLY stupid thing.  One of my dearest friends is in hospital after a major operation to rid her of cancer, and the only thing she has to keep her mind off herself is her iPad. She doesn't read or sew, or do any other craft stuff that might keep her occupied.  But she loves Facebook.  So I signed up to keep her company.  All hell has broken loose on my computer.  People that I know and more people that I don't know want to be a 'Friend'.  I know who my friends are, and indeed, some of them I have met via the Internet.  But it was by mutual agreement not forced on me like this.  All I want to do is 'chat' with C if she wants some company online when she is too sick to reach for the phone.

 I have not got time to chat online with all the other people, even though I would be delighted to TALK to friends and family on the phone, or even SEE them in person if they agreed, but most of them seem to prefer Facebook relationships now.  I've just wasted hours yesterday and today trying to navigate Facebook and set it up the way I want it with just one 'friend' but in doing so I must have clicked on some people that I know in real life, and now I'm getting all their stuff on my page.  I think...well it's weird, all over the place, and I don't want it.  I need someone to sit with me and sort it out, but they are all too busy 'messaging' each other...blaaaaahh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sue Walker said...

You can just not accept friend requests, they will not know you have rejected them, just think you haven't seen request. Also when you get all the crap coming in your newsfeed click to the right of the persons name and there will be an option to turn off all feed from that person. Then go to settings and turn off email notifications, that will reduce the bother too. I hear you though! When your friend recovers disable facebook - it doesn't bring too much joy!

Wednesday, 07 May, 2014  
Blogger Sharon said...

Unlike your friend I really like facebook - I love connecting with people and it has opened up a whole other world for me... I don't live on fb but it certainly keeps me in touch... I am sorry that you found it such a not so nice experience... I would suggest you do what Sue has offered if it upsets you too much... I must apologise that in my excitement of see you there I sent through two ppl that I thought you would have been keen to see - that was Pete and Anne S. Again and unlike Sue facebook has bought me joy as it has kept me in the loop - since working full time doesn't allow me too much time to catch up with friends otherwise...

Saturday, 10 May, 2014  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Nah, it's all too hard. I've deleted my FB account now and won't be going back there!

Wednesday, 14 May, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!