Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, May 23, 2014

Goodbye, Beloved Kitchen.

Tonight I am sad.  Not even excited about the new kitchen, a bit anxious in fact.  Wondering how long it will be before I can start baking and roasting in the new oven, cooking on the new gas cooktop, and washing dishes in the dishwasher.  I hate change.  And I have loved my kitchen for 35 years - since the day we inspected this house and I fell in love with it then.  Tomorrow it will be gone, so tonight I said goodbye.
I cooked bacon, eggs and tomato.
 for the last time on this electric stovetop (the only part of the kitchen I have always disliked).

 The chips were baked in my old faithful Westinghouse Bordelaise model oven,

 along with my favourite fruit slice.  The last thing I will bake in this oven.

This may be the last lot of dishes I will ever wash by hand...ha ha!  I seriously doubt that; I've been handwashing dishes for so long it is going to be hard to break the habit.

Why on earth did I get talked into getting a new stainless steel sink??  I have never seen a new one as big as mine; my new sink will be two bowls as I wanted, but one is smaller than the other, and there is only one side piece on the right, not on each side like this vintage sink.  Damn damn damn...it's too late to change my mind, the cupboards have already been made up to accomodate the new sink.

After tea, Ken helped me pack up what was left in the cupboards.  He commented that the kitchen even sounds empty, sort of echoing when we talk. 

 All I have to do in the morning is move the microwave from the shelf, and the tins from the kitchen table.
 And take down my cafe curtains for a wash before they are put up again.  We have left breakfast cereal, bowls, kettle and mugs ready for an early brekkie before the builder arrives at 8 am to start destroying my very first kitchen....sob..

1 Comments:

Blogger Damaria Senne said...

I don't like change much either.

Goodbye beloved kitchen. You've served Gina very well for 35 years. May you rest in peace.

Saturday, 24 May, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!