Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Our menu for the week.

Ashleigh over at Stitched In Holland was driven to writing about her weekly menu on her blog - because as she said, she had nothing better to write about! Well, I happened to find that very interesting, because she is the only other person I know of who like me, plans her weekly menu ahead. I have been doing this for many years, even though I only cook for the two of us (apart from when we have the occasional visitors). I sit down on Wednesday evenings with my current recipe magazine (or other cookbooks) and find seven recipes that I want to try out. I write them down on a piece of paper, in order of the days of the week, then I go through the recipes again and make out a shopping list of what I need. About 11 pm, I head off to the supermarket, which in our case, is just at the top of our street, and closes at midnight. At that hour, there are no queues at the check-outs, and I can usually park right outside the entrance.

In making up my menu, I take the weather forecast into consideration...difficult in Melbourne, as like Chicago, we can have the four season in 24 hours! At this time of the year, we generally have salads, but if there is a cool night forecast, I will throw in a hot meal. Here is this week's menu:

Monday: Cold ham and chicken with garden salad.
Tuesday: Grilled steaks with potato salad, greens,and grilled tomatoes.
Wednesday: Crumbed lamb cutlets with salad or steamed veg.(depends on weather)
Thursday: Chicken kebabs on rice with corn and peas
Friday: Fish of the day (could be prawns, white fish - depends what is on offer at the shop!) with ovenbaked chips and salad.
Saturday: Corned beef and coleslaw. Dessert of fresh fruits and icecream.
Sunday: Leftovers! Or whatever else I can think of that will be easy.


We always have a glass of wine with our meals, and follow up with a cup of fresh brewed tea (not teabags) and a biscuit or slice of cake. I only do desserts on the weekends as we don't really feel like the extra course during the week. If you have bothered to read thus far, I am keen to hear your opinions and comments. What is your system of keeping your household fed? Do you eat out, or have takeaway regularly?

7 Comments:

Blogger Iris said...

This has always fascinated me because I can change my mind about a meal three times right before I make it. I have never been able to plan a weeks worth of meals.

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gina, I plan my meals for the week too - well, mostly. It really helps to cut down on the grocery bill when I do. If I plan I can feed a family of five plus a small dog (all meals) on about $150 a week. If I don't plan the bill usually escalates to over $200!
In summer we have a lot of salads too, but in winter the crockpot comes out. I am usually so busy in winter with sports, and it's a godsend to have dinner basically ready after an afternoon running around after the kids!

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Shell said...

I'm afraid that my style is much more random. I start to think about dinner just after lunch, usually end up flicking through recipe books, then walk to the shops, get what I need, come home and make it. If I can't be bothered walking I'll conjure something up from what is in the cupboard.

Things we have at least once a week though are a pasta meal with homegrown herbs in it, taco's or nacho's, a salmon steak and salad. I don't know why, but these meals always pop up.

Being a pescetarian (a vegie who eats fish occasionally) I get very creative with my food. I like really fresh vegies and salad ingredients too so I end up going to the shops most days anyway. I haven't learnt how to keep anything fresh over 3 days.

I wish I was as organised as you though.

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I try and plan our meals but sometimes I have to be flexible - depending on what happens each week. In my pantry I try to have all the staples and usually shop for meat/fish/chicken nearly everyday as I am usually out somewhere anyhow & I don't have a freezer.
love your menu Gina !

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

by the way - this go me thinking and I posted on my blog with a link to this thread

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Peggy said...

Gina I always have a menu for every meal if there is someone home besides me. When I am here alone its just fix whatever whenever. Needless to say I enjoy having William or some family here so I can plan and cook.

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Gina E. said...

What a beaut response! I didn't expect that - thank you girls!
Iris: you must have a good supply of food in your pantry and fridge; I only have staple foods, plus what I need for that week.
Flossy: That is another reason why I plan ahead - to curb impulse spending on food. And cooking ahead is always useful - even for just two of us!
Shell: If our fresh food shops were close enough to walk to, I might do as you do more often. But having to drive from here to shop anywhere, I try to eliminate as many trips as possible.
Ms Robyn: I think we all have to be flexible at times; my menus aren't set in concrete, but it helps me to know that I have what is needed in advance. By the way, we don't have a separate freezer either - just a two door fridge, so the top compartment only holds enough for a week.
Peggy and Dolly: thank you also for your comments!

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!