Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Sunday bloody Sunday!

WOT a day. Ken took off about 7.30 am on his Honda with some mates on their bikes to the Super Bikes Race down at Phillip Island. They expected to be home between 7 and 8 pm. I trotted off happily to my Calligraphy Society workshop, where I spent a very pleasant (but frustrating) day with 12 other nice ladies who were at various stages of calligraphic skills. I sat next to a lady about my age who like me, had never been to a CSV workshop before, and also like me, only 'played' with writing now and then. We were instructed to buy four sizes of nibs, and a bottle of black ink, along with other supplies such as paper, ruler, etc. There were about four of us who hadn't used those kind of pens since we were kids in the 50's - remember dipping pens in the inkwell on your desk at school?? Well that's what we felt like! We all swore later on we would happily go back to our fountain pens and felt tipped markers, even if it was not the traditional way of calligraphy! Getting used to the nibs and ink was the frustrating part, with the resulting blots on our work, but it didn't spoil the day - we just did our best. The tutor was lovely - a brilliant and very well known calligrapher with several books under her belt. We didn't know that until later; she was very unassuming about herself, not conceited or patronising at all. I'm sorry I have no works of art to show off on my blog (sigh)...Celtic lettering is not my forte it seems, let alone struggling with those nibs! But I have decided to attend more of their workshops when they come up, on different lettering styles.

Now the other half of Sunday. I got home about 4.30 pm to find a message on the machine from Ken. He'd got a puncture on the way down to the Island, and had to leave his bike at a garage, and continue the journey on the pillion of one of his mates. They came back to the garage after the race, and one of his friends (David) stayed with Ken, while another (John) continued on to his home, where he got his car and trailer, and came back for Ken and his bike. They went back to John's place, where Ken waited for his brother-in-law to pick him up. I had phoned Ken's sister to tell her what had happened, and they offered to go and collect Ken, for which I was profoundly grateful. If it had been closer to home I would have driven there to collect Ken, but all this happened just before they got to the Island - a two hour journey from here. As I have never driven there on my own, I would never have found my way down there at night. But Don drove down there, and brought back not only Ken, but his bike on John's trailer. They got back about 10 pm, and I picked Ken up from his sister's home (10 minutes away). We got to bed well after midnight, both totally exhausted. Today, Don took the bike to the bike shop for repairs (it was actually more serious than a puncture), then returned the trailer to John at his work place.

It could all have been a lot worse - if Ken had been on his own, or if he didn't have such kind and generous mates, not to mention a kind and generous sister and brother-in-law. Certainly makes you appreciate people, doesn't it..

5 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I won't even mention the bike, as you know my feelings on those blasted things ! :) - so glad that Ken wasn't alone and had someone to help him.
Calligraphy is something I have never tried. It looks difficult to me and I don't think I would have the patience. However, I think it is beautiful to look at.

Monday, 06 March, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad Ken is ok, and you both had people you could count on to help you.

Keep up with the calligraphy, I want to see some of your work! It's something I would love to learn one day too :)

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thanks girls - Ken is fine, and so is his beloved bike. He collected it from the bike shop tonight - $400 later..(I think we both need to go back to work full time).
Flossy, did you click on my link to the Calligraphy Society of Vic.? There are some pictures of the most gorgeous envelopes that have been done by the members. I have fun with my envelopes at Christmas time, matching coloured pens to the colours on the Christmas stamp of the season, but these pictures have given me fresh ideas for next Christmas!

Tuesday, 07 March, 2006  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina!
I'm so far behind in reading.
I'm excited to hear about your calligraphy workshop. What kind of nibs are you using? What brand of ink?
I understand the bloting frustration. One trick I've learned is to use a paint brush when loading the ink. Just a thought. Well I thought I had more time but gotta run. I'll try and send some mail later tonight. Hugs. -Patty

Wednesday, 08 March, 2006  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hi Patty,
The nibs we had to have were William Mitchell, sizes 0,2, 4 and 6. If that makes any sense to you. The recommended ink was a brand called "Calli" but my supplier had all colours except black, so I ended up with another brand, which our tutor said was possibly inferior to the ones she had suggested. But that's a good idea about using a paintbrush to load the nib. There was a tiny little thing that we were supposed to have fitted on our nibs, to hold the ink (can't remember what it is called), but my supplier hadn't mentioned it, so I didn't have any, which meant I had to keep dipping my pen into the ink.

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!