Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Happy" Halloween?

Is that what you do in the States? Wish someone a happy Halloween like Christmas and birthdays? Just wondering...I rushed off and bought a bag of mixed candy bars this afternoon, ready for the onslaught of kids on the doorstep. But it didn't happen. Well, only once. A pair of boys about 14 years old, I'm guessing, with their faces painted and one of them dressed up in black robes, with black net over his face. Very ghoulish and very effective! I complimented both of them and offered them a choice of the candy. They already had a huge stash of chips and lollies, so I dare say they will either be very sick tonight, unless they are strong willed enough to space out their loot over the next few days!

Ken said he heard lots of screaming and yelling further up the street, but nobody else came down our way. Guess we will just have to finish off the candy ourselves...'scuse me while I grab a Cherry Ripe bar - YUM

There are several houses around here that are either just sold, or up for sale, and the rest of us are speculating on the valuations of them in comparison to our own houses. Having a free afternoon in front of me, I decided to call one of the estate agents to come and have a look at our place, seeing the yard is pretty much finished now. A lady came out and spent about an hour looking around and taking notes. She had a lot of good things to say, which surprised me, as our house is about 30 years old, and we haven't done much to it apart from general maintenance and having the yards fixed up. The decor is still very 'seventies' with orange/brown carpet, retro wallpaper in the bedrooms, Mission Brown exposed beams, cedar and brick feature walls, and the original curtains which are in a disgusting condition, I'm ashamed to say. However, the agent said all this is a plus. People are buying up these houses, ripping up the carpet and polishing the floorboards and replacing curtains with cedar slats. Apparently retro wallpaper and exposed beams are all back in favour now.
What is that saying? What goes around comes around?? Anyway, I'm happy now that we haven't gone to the expense of replacing carpets and curtains. She is coming back on Friday to give us a written evaluation. I warned her that we are not ready to sell yet - possibly in about two years - and she understands that. Mind you, if some rich person comes along and falls in love with the joint, and offers us a cool million, well! I think we might just move out very quickly!

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Wouldn't that be the ultimate dream to have someone fall in love with your place and keep the offers climbing till you give in? Oh boy, would that be great...=) Here's hoping with you!

Saturday, 04 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!