Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Final results in on the state of my health!

Well, good and bad as they say. Seriously, I'm not as badly off as many people, so this post is not going to be one long whinge. There have been a few people expressing concern for me, for which I thank you, and I thought you might like to know the results of my latest visits to the doctor. After the chiropractor advised me to get a CT scan of my spine and also possibly a bone density scan, I consulted my GP about getting them done. She said the bone density scan was not necessary, as other blood tests etc. that I have had, have not indicated problems with my bones. But she sent me off for the CT scan and a number of blood tests. The blood tests all came back with positive results: low cholesterol, kidneys and liver function good, blood sugar level good, and a few other things that I can't remember.

The CT scan however, confirmed what previous Xrays and chiropractors have told me - degenerative processes in the lumbar region of the spine, in other words, early stages of osteo-arthritis. After Dr R. explained all that, she then discussed my options for pain management. Painkilling tablets - a big NO - not yet! from me, but she said I should have them available for the occasions when I can't sleep at night, as it is important to get adequate rest. Agreed.
Next step is to make sure I am getting enough of the right kind of exercise to keep my body fit and well, without worsening the arthritis by inappropriate movement, such as prolonged periods of vacuuming and other housework. Dr R. recommended in addition to my daily half hour walk, I should take on weights training and Pilates. So I have booked into our local community health centre for an appointment with a physiotherapist, who will assess my physical health and see what I should be doing.

A few months ago, I was quite sure it was my feet causing all the problems, and I had new orthotics made up. I know now of course, my feet had nothing to do with the back pain, but since I've been wearing the orthotics full time, I'm not having any pain in my feet, which is a blessing in itself! They used to ache so, and along with my hips and back, I was a misery at times. The bursitis also seems to have cleared up, so I am assuming that since the orthotics have corrected my posture, the inflammation of the bursa has subsided. So! Fairly good news all around as far as I'm concerned. Most people end up with some form of arthritis as they age, so I'm not alone, and as long as I can manage the condition, life will go on as usual!

2 Comments:

Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Hi Gina,
HUGS
Patty who hopes to get good news on Tuesday.

Monday, 02 April, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your troubles and mine bring to mind a quote I use often. Bette Davis, the actress, is credited with saying "Old age ain't for wimps." And, oh how I agree. But, Gina, I am a great believer in information and your investigations were the very right thing to do. Have also been saddened by the death of Senator Jeannie Ferris this week from ovarian cancer. Her event started with great tiredness, doctors telling her nothing was wrong until eventually, on a 6hr visit to the Canberra Emergency Dept, she demanded a CT scan. Her advice? Listen to your body. This is what we must do - even if we have to annoy the life out of our medicos. Hugs, prayers & blissful blessings to you - pray that you come through and/or around this into greener pastures.

Thursday, 05 April, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!