Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Latest developments in my job saga!

Today I went for an interview with my prospective new employers. I think it went well, as they indicated that I would be retaining my present client base, and adding some new clients to it to make up for any I lose if I leave Southern Cross. I will be paid the same wage as I'm on now, and I'll be employed on a casual basis, which is what I prefer. The travel allowance is still not confirmed, I was told, which is disappointing after hearing yesterday from the manager that it was going to be paid. But apparently he was 'jumping the gun' and hoping the Council would agree to it, but it seems they are making things difficult. Well, they can whistle Dixie - I believe we have the law on our side, and they have to continue paying us our current benefits. We'll see...

Earlier in the afternoon, I had dropped into the Southern Cross office to collect my new roster for the coming fortnight, and the manager happened to be there. He caught sight of me and beckoned me into his office, closing the door behind me. He proceeded to remind me that when I started work with SCC I had signed an agreement which included a clause which states employees are not allowed to discuss any aspect of their work with the media. (OOPS!) He had obviously heard on the grapevine what I have been up to, so I said "Well, what happens now - are you sacking me?" He said "Oh...no...just thought I should warn you". I replied "Jon, I'm nearly 60. You told me last week there won't be any work for me at SCC after this month anyway, so I've got nothing to lose by going to the press about this issue. Somebody has to stand up for the workers, otherwise they'll just get walked over". He wasn't expecting a reaction like that - he didn't know what to say!!

I mentioned this episode to the AHCS staff, and asked if they had a similar clause in their workplace agreement. They weren't sure, but they thought it might. I said jokingly "Well, as you can see, I'll fight for what I believe in, so just don't cross me!" Their eyes popped, and then they laughed when I started chuckling, but I think they got the message. One of the best things about working when you get to this age, you don't have to take the crap! You just don't care about it any more, and it really puts people back in their box when you call their bluff!

4 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Oh Gina, you rise in my estimation every day! What a champ!

It is true that as you get older, you feel much more freedom to say what you think, but you're saying it in pressure situations - well done!!

Thursday, 13 September, 2007  
Blogger Pam said...

Good for you! I'm just catching up with blogs and - aha, your sofa!! Hmm.

Friday, 14 September, 2007  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

See if you can have that clause deleted! Why the need for secrecy! If their proud of their work practices and conditions why the need to have them shrouded in secrecy. Particually in repect to a a not for profit organisation that receives generous community voluntary support!!
Best wishes

Friday, 14 September, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Good thought, Lindsay. Once I'm entrenched into the workplace, I might speak up about that!
Isabelle - yeah, the sofa is a sore point with Ken, especially when I remind him that he chose Topsy out of all the other kitties at the Cat Protection Society!

Saturday, 15 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!