Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Some good news for a change.

The reporter and photographer came out this morning and took pictures of me with one of my home care clients, who was very happy to oblige. The reporter said it will probably be in next week's Diamond Valley Leader, and possibly on the front page, because the topic of workplace relations is hot news right now, with an election looming.

While I was there, I had a phone call on my mobile, from the CEO of Aust. Home Care Services. He said he wanted to talk to me about my letter (which he would have seen at the Shire council offices), and I mentally prepared myself to be verbally ripped into! But no. He said he was at the Council office trying to negotiate terms and conditions for the Southern Cross Carers, and wanted to confirm with me details of our existing pay structure. So I filled him in with that and he thanked me and rang off. Later in the day, he rang again to ask something else, and I asked him about the carers having a choice of being casual or perm. part-time. He said yes, they will also agree to that. Well, I thought we're on a roll here, so I politely mentioned a few other issues, and he said "we've arranged with the Council that you (meaning all the carers, not just me!) will have your existing terms re-instated, and a new workplace agreement will be drawn up". I didn't tell him that I'd spoken to the paper, but I did ring the reporter immediately to inform him. He was pleased that I let him know, and said they will probably still run the story, but will modify it to include this latest development.

Tonight I phoned some of the other carers whom I know well, and they were delighted to hear the news, as they were still trying to decide whether or not to apply to work for AHCS. One of them told me that AHCS had put on another information session for SCC carers on Monday, and only four carers turned up! No wonder they are desperate. I feel sorry for AHCS though - the blame lies fairly and squarely with the Nillumbik Shire Council. They have obviously led AHCS up the proverbial garden path, letting them assume we would all be willing to work for less! Well, they didn't reckon on me, did they!! Watch this space for the next instalment..

2 Comments:

Blogger Val said...

Gina, you are a goer!! You might want to check that the newspaper does modify the story adequately.

Wednesday, 12 September, 2007  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Way to go! Will you post a copy of your photo and article?

Wednesday, 12 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!