Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Back in business.

My new employer has confirmed a permanent roster for me, three hours a day, three days a week in the aged care facility I was at two weeks ago, filling in for another carer. They will offer me more work when jobs become available in my local area. I'm pleased and relieved to finally have a regular wage to look forward to - not a bankroll by any means, but certainly better than Centrelink's allowance!

I did three hours at the nursing home again on Friday, and sketched some of the residents, who showed mild interest in what I was doing. The staff thought my sketches were wonderful and said I'd missed my calling - LOL! I've always liked drawing people, but it is just a hobby, certainly not a wage earner!

8 Comments:

Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, I learn more and more about you all the time - how wonderful your sketches are, I can truly see who those two men are.

I am so pleased you now have a regular working week and I am positive the hours will grow, you will be a very special asset to the homes.

Lee-ann

Saturday, 02 February, 2008  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, Pleased to hear your now working in the field you love,helping the Elderly im sre you will get longer hours as time goes by... Also lovely sketches , you are a very talented lady..

Saturday, 02 February, 2008  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ Great sketches and many
Congrats on your job which should
mean more hours as needed.I am sure the patient will enjoy having you.
Glad you liked Read this slowly and glad to hear that you and Ken live life in the moment and enjoy each day
Good for you, too many say "Someday"
Take care my friend, Love, Merle.

Sunday, 03 February, 2008  
Blogger Pam said...

Catching up with blogs here - that looked like a great party and I'm so glad you've got a permanent position - I'm sure you'll be a great asset. And your sketches are very good!

Sunday, 03 February, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there no end to your skills and talent? Would love to see more.

And congrats. I hope things soon improve: more hours and money and the sort of routine you want in a working life.

Blessings and bliss

Monday, 04 February, 2008  
Blogger Alice said...

Wow, your sketches are really wonderful. A few simple pencil lines and you've brought people to life. It really is a gift, Gina. I hope we'll see more.

Tuesday, 05 February, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very happy for you.... and your work hours will increase... I am sure!

Your sketches are wonderful Gina. I agree with Alice... a line here and there... and you have brought the page alive. Excellent!

Tuesday, 05 February, 2008  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Gina, you surprise me ... I didn't know you were a talented artist. Those drawings are wonderful. I bet the subjects would love to have them framed and on display ... or at least the nursing home would.
Congrats on the permanent position. It must have been a very frustrating time for you, until now.
Hope we can catch up soon.
Take care, Meow

Tuesday, 05 February, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!