Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It is going from bad to worse.

Thank you to all those who have left comments here, or emailed me to express concern about the bushfires here in Victoria. I guess I don't need to tell you much, as I believe we are making headlines around the world, but being right here where events are unfolding before our eyes, it is a terrible time to be living through. Nearly 200 people dead, approximately 5000 homeless, and an enormous area of our State has been completely burnt out. The only positive aspect of the bush being burnt, is that in Australia, it is nature's way of regenerating new growth in our native trees and plants. They rely on fire to do this.

Like 9/11, the media is playing everything over and over, full on - videos of the fires, burnt out houses and cars, people in the burns unit of the hospital, animals being brought into care - birds with their feathers burnt off, animals with burnt paws and singed fur, and interviews with survivors.

Ken went down to our local CFA (Country Fire Authority) last night, to see if they need any extra 'hands on deck', and the man he spoke to said if Eltham comes under ember attack from the nearest fires on a windy day, we'll go up in flames like Kinglake. We live among so many trees, and everything is so dry after years of drought. The fires are creeping closer to us whenever there is a windchange in our direction - town by town.
I have a list of things to pack if it comes to the crunch:
Cat in her carry cage.
Handbag containing wallet, cheque book, keys, diary, address book.
Mobile Phone and charger
Ken’s laptop. My computer memory stick.
Torches
Bottled water or other drinks, and energy snacks.
Medications and scripts.
Briefcase containing important papers such as:
Birth certificate
Wedding certificate
Current Insurance Policies
Current car and bike registrations
Utilities receipts, rates notice
Current bank statements.
Essential clothing for both of us - undies, slacks, tops, waterproof jackets
My framed embroidered pictures off the wall.
As much of my antique linen as I can pack into cardboard boxes

Have I forgotten anything?

Ken says he would have to open his aviaries to let the birds free to fend for themselves. I'll never forget seeing film of a bird breeder whose aviaries were destroyed in a bushfire a few years ago; he was crying over the loss of his beloved birds which had been all burnt alive in their cages..I told Ken we could put them all in boxes or carry cages, but he said it would take too long to catch them all. Sometimes you've only got minutes to evacuate your home.

I know many of my blog friends have deep religious beliefs. Would you consider praying for us? We need lots of rain, and we don't need wind at all. That's it - not too much to ask, is it? Thank you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Finding My Way said...

Gina,
Consider it done. I sent your email to my friend and asked her to put you on there prayer list. I figure every little bit won't hurt.
Hoping it doesn't come to you leaving your home. HUGS -Patty

Wednesday, 11 February, 2009  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Gina

I have been a faithful reader of your blog for a long time. I live in the Chicago area and I have been to Australia a couple of times with hubby on business and said when we retired I wanted to come back and visit and spend more time in Melbourne. It was my favorite of the cities that we visited. Well we did come back and spent a week there on a 6 week vacation including a week in Tasmania and 3 in New Zealand. We spent time driving the river road and were made very welcome wherever we stopped.
When the fires first started around Melbourne I thought of you, Ken and his Mom immediately and prayed it wasn't in your area.

One thing to add to that list is any meds any of you are taking. Plus throwing in some snacks to keep you going along with the water.

You did a wonderful thing taking your MIL in to your home. She looks healthy and happy in your last pic of her.

Let us pray it does not come down to that and the fires will just burn themselves out. My heart goes out to all the Aussies that are suffering so. Please take care.

Hugs
FredaB

When this is all over and you have some time please visit my blog I set up last Nov. It is: sewwhatsnew-fredab.blogspot.com

Wednesday, 11 February, 2009  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Ohh Gina.. I hope and pray the fires dont reach beautifull Eltham. with its very heaverly wooded area's the fire would spread very quickly and so hilly in places.... Do be prepared But I hope it doesnt come to that..Stay Safe many hugs..

Wednesday, 11 February, 2009  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you dear friends, for your kind thoughts and comments. I can't begin to tell you how much everyone here appreciates the sympathy and love streaming in from all over Australia and the world.
Freda, you have email. And, I've added our medications to my fire list - Good thinking, 99!!

Wednesday, 11 February, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!