Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

What's happening at our Place.

First off, can anyone tell me how to get rid of this stupid Slideshow thing? It kept freezing whenever I logged into it to see new guests, and I've just got sick of it. I logged in and deleted it, but it's still showing here....GO AWAY!!!

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'll do a quick post about what I've been up to since January 13th. Ken's Mum is now living with us. She was brought home from the hospital on Monday, and was so chirpy, you'd think she'd never been ill! We took her to her new bedroom (we'd spent all last week cleaning out the room, installing a new airconditioner and adding some new furniture), but she said "I don't want to go to bed now - I've just come out of 3 weeks in bed in hospital!" So she stayed with us in the lounge room, and sat up until nearly midnight watching Foxtel!! On Tuesday she was pretty tired of course, so she stayed in bed most of the day, reading and snoozing. She joined us for tea, and about 9 pm Ken asked if she would like to see the new Andre Rieu DVD. "Yes please!" so that was another late night.

Today I had to work in the morning, so left her to sleep in until I got home at midday. We had some lunch, then I turned on the tennis for her and she happily watched that all afternoon while I did some shopping and housework. When Ken came home, we had tea, and he brought out another DVD that he knew she would love (Edinburgh Tattoo). I did my usual late night shopping and came home at midnight to find the pair of them watching the end of the Tattoo. I still had to pay some bills online, so I did that, and decided to post to my blog while I'm online, so here I am, and my husband and his 95 (nearly 96) year old Mum are finally in bed!

Contrary to most people's concerns, I don't think we have taken on 'too much' by having MIL live with us. My job as her Carer is to help her wash herself and get dressed, prepare her meals and prompt her to take her medication. Not an onerous job! Her washing is thrown into the machine with ours, so that's no problem.
I discovered yesterday that I can claim the Carers Pension as well as a Carers Allowance, totalling about $360 a fortnight. I told MIL she's making me wealthy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ Your MIL sounds like a great lady for her age and it is very good of you and Ken to have her live with you.
Glad you liked my congratulatory message to Obama - - but he may have been reading my blog.!!!
He offers hope to all of us not just the US. Take care, dear friend,
Love, Merle.

Thursday, 22 January, 2009  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Gday Gina..Sounds like your coping well with MIL, but then I never doubted you for a Minute Your a kind and able lady..
Mil. might be making you rich LOL but your giving her a home and making her comfortable..
I watched Andre Rieu again the other night when I went to bed.Would love see the tattoo I havent seen the dvd.. Take care my friend... Jen

Friday, 23 January, 2009  
Blogger Pam said...

Your MIL is a lucky lady. You're such a sweetie.

Friday, 30 January, 2009  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thanks very much Pete, for your instructions on how to get rid of the Slide Show thing!

Saturday, 31 January, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!