Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Not good news.

I've been putting off posting this, because I am tired of posting stuff on here that isn't light hearted, funny and/or in some way interesting. But, as some of you have become good buddies via the magic of cyberspace, and have been kind enough to inquire after my hubby, I decided to write about what happened on Wednesday.

The hospital said he had to be there at 8.30 am, and we got there about 8.15, due the traffic flow being unusually light for that hour of the day. We sat around for an hour, then Ken was taken into a ward of about a dozen beds, some of which were occupied by people who had just been through the test, or were waiting to be done. More waiting, during which time Ken was given the usual hospital garb to don, and asked questions by passing medical staff. About 11.30, his cardiologist Dr H. came by and winked at us, and said "Won't be long now." Another half hour, and Ken was taken off to the theatre, and I decided to go home and get some work done, as the staff said he wouldn't be discharged until late in the afternoon.

I called the hospital about 2 pm and was told Ken was in the recovery ward and I could pick him up at 4.30. I asked the nurse what the result of the tests were and she could only give me a bit of information, as Dr. H. hadn't written up the full report. Ken's heart is in bad shape, and the usual follow up for someone like him would be open heart surgery, but that can't be done on Ken because of his damaged lungs. The cardiologists have a conference on Fridays to discuss their patients, and Dr H. won't make a decision on Ken's treatment until then. It will most likely be treatment by drugs as there is nothing else they can do. Ken has a stent in one artery, but the other one is so bad, they can't insert a stent in there. On the way home, Ken confirmed what I'd been told already. Dr. H. had stopped to talk to Ken before he was discharged, and explained what he had found. He increased some of Ken's medications immediately and instructed Ken to make an appointment with his office in the next week or two.

The hospital gives strict instructions about what you can and can't do after angioplasty, and you are supposed to rest, and not walk around unless you go to the toilet. Well! Ken was just pleased to be home, and after having a snooze for an hour, he was up and walking around the house, wanting to go and see the chooks! I said NO, so he alternated between the computer and the t.v. while I did my late night supermarket shop. Usually when I get home, he is waiting to come downstairs and carry the bags up, so when I saw him at the front door ready to come down, I yelled "Don't you DARE!" He just grinned and retreated inside!

So at the moment we are in limbo. Ken can't go back to work for a week, as he isn't allowed to drive or lift anything heavy for a week, and his job involves both of those tasks. He stayed in bed for most of Thursday, and behaved himself for a change, i.e. didn't venture outside, or do anything inside that might injure himself.
At times like this I'm happy to be unemployed, as I hate leaving him all day when he's not well, or supposed to be resting. Like most males, he gets restless if he feels okay, and wants to be up and about doing useful things in the yard or the garage!

7 Comments:

Blogger FredaB said...

Dear Gina

I am so sorry to read about Ken's test results.
I know what it is like to worry about our hubbies and feel helpless to do anything.

Let us hope the medication can be upped and that will at least alleviate the situation.

Is it possible for him to go on permanent disability on the cardiologist's advice? I don't know how it is in Australia but here there seem to be a lot of people on disability with bad backs, etc. Might be something to look into.

Will be thinking of you both.

Hugs

FredaB

Friday, 04 September, 2009  
Blogger Pam said...

I'm sorry. I hope things improve or at least stabilise.

Saturday, 05 September, 2009  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Gina, you must be so worried at this time and yes it is good you don't have a job at the moment as looking after Ken (or any man ) is a full time job when they are not well.
I agree with Freda about disability pension, a week sounds much too soon to go back to work.
Sew as much as you can and it just might distract you a little.
Sylvia

Saturday, 05 September, 2009  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ I am sorry I haven't been around for awhile and I am so very sorry that Ken is so unwell. I
sincerely hope that he will get help and get through this OK. Look after both of you, my friend. Glad you both got a smile from the husband and the cat. My prayers are with you both. Take great care, Love, Merle.

Saturday, 05 September, 2009  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Hi Gina,
I sorry to hear about Ken's test results. I wish we didn't have so much distance between us. I'd be happy to come over and help.
Keeping you both in my prayers.
HUGS,
-Patty
ps: I'll be posting some lighter stuff soon.

Monday, 07 September, 2009  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

One more...I started using my art blog again. i've messed up my sign-in name so Home Away from Home and Scribewithgold is me. :)
-Patty who needs time to fix the screw-up.

Monday, 07 September, 2009  
Blogger cell said...

hope he'll get better soon. he's very blessed to have a loving, caring wife like you

Monday, 07 September, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!