Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Computer woes...

I am constantly warned by People-who-know-more-than-me-about-computers, that I should get rid of my 9 year old Compaq PC with it's obsolete operating system (ME), and upgrade with a new laptop and Vista. Or whatever. That's all very well, but attached to my vintage PC, is a vintage scanner and printer, which I'm told would not be usable with a new PC. I would have to buy a new printer/scanner as well. All up I could be forking out about one thousand dollars.
I don't WANT a new computer. My printer and scanner work just fine, and better still I know how they work! I hate learning new technology!! Alas, I may be forced into going back to work to earn the money to buy all these things.

I was trying to do a spyware scan on the weekend, and I selected "Safe Mode" when prompted by the program. That's when it all went pear-shaped, and I have not been able to get out of Safe Mode since. I've got on to Ken's laptop (which I'm using now) to Google 'how to get out of Safe Mode', and I've done just about everything that has been suggested, except go into the mysterious depths of The Registry. I have a computer expert (I hope he is) coming tomorrow to have a look at my dear old PC, and see if he can fix it. In the meantime I've been using this, with the accompanying comments from Ken "Don't stuff my laptop up. Don't try anything stupid on mine like you've done on yours", etc. Sigh...such encouragement touches the heart, doesn't it.

If my old machine has to be put down, along with scanner and printer, I will be forced to continue my online playing on this laptop for the foreseeable future. I won't be able to post any photos, as my camera doesn't 'go' with this computer, and even if I scan something on Ken's scanner/printer, I would not know how to get it across to the laptop. HE doesn't even know how to do that, so what hope have I got? Oh well, just thought I should warn my cyberspace friends, this blog could get pretty boring without photos to liven it up occasionally.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Next day. The Expert turned up on time (earlier, actually), and spent over an hour trying to resolve my computer problem. He ended up taking it back to his office, along with various discs, to restore the PC to factory default, and then add everything back on it again. He said he'll do a complete back up of everything so I won't lose stuff, so that's good. He seems to think my dear old PC is worth saving, which makes me think he's a good bloke! In the meantime, I'm doing all my computing on Ken's laptop during the day while Ken is at work, so he's not breathing down my neck while I'm online..

Wednesday, 22 July, 2009  
Blogger Joanne said...

That's good that your computer may get a second chance. We are just starting on our third computer in 10 years. That's a lot by our standards but some people upgrade every two years!
Are you sure there isn't some kind of device that will make your camera compatible with the laptop? Most devices can be connected with the right cable.

Wednesday, 22 July, 2009  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ I am so sorry your computer has been giving trouble,
but it seems you have found someone who may be able to fix it, which would be great. We sure miss them when they are not working.

Glad you were able to read and enjoy some jokes. Take care, Love, Merle.

Thursday, 23 July, 2009  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh dear, I sympathise. If left to my own devices, without husband or offspring, I'd be very stuck in a computer emergency. Good luck with it all.

Saturday, 25 July, 2009  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, Ive been a bit slow posting again getting around to everyone, I really didnt feel up to blogging while awaiting the results of more tests Biopsy.saw my specialst. got my results yesterday Benign cysts. so she is happy to let me go another 12 months before i see her.in the mean time just see my dr every 3 months.so with that news im very relieved.so went out taking a few more photo's of the lake..I hope your computer man can iron out all the problems and get you up and running again very soon,I use my printer to download my photo.s, you also buy a small card reader that takes different size camera cards thats fits into usb its only a few dollars and also hope that you and Ken are both back to good health..take great care, rug up keep warm these very chilly days.. Jenxxx.

Tuesday, 28 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!