Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cooking and not concentrating.

Haven't got much to blog about lately, so when I had a slight mishap earlier tonight, I thought it might amuse those of you who enjoy (or otherwise) cooking.
I'd just put a lamb roast on for dinner, and decided to make the most of having a hot oven by cooking a cake of some sort. My favourite recipe books are those with titles like "Fast Cakes" and "Fast and Easy Slices", where the ingredients are generally ones that I have on hand in the pantry.

I found a nice looking slice using a cup of flour, half a cup of sugar, 100 g. of butter, coconut, raspberry jam, and 2 eggs. I got as far as melting the butter, shelling the eggs and weighing the sugar, but got sidetracked by "Australia's Funniest Home Videos" on the t.v. in the kitchen. Still giggling, I whisked the eggs in a bowl and turned back to the recipe book, only to find that I was supposed to separate the yolks from the whites, in order to whip the whites later and fold them into the mixture. Oh. Well, back to the recipe book to look for something that called for melted butter and whisked eggs. Found a recipe for Brownies, calling for 250 g butter, and four eggs. So I put away the jam and coconut, added another 150 g of butter to the saucepan, whisked another two eggs, and got out cocoa and vanilla essence.

It turned out to be a delicious mistake. I haven't cooked any kind of chocolate cake for ages, and even Ken was impressed enough to comment (he is my biggest critic when it comes to my cooking), so I guess I'll be doing this one again!

1 Comments:

Blogger FredaB said...

You know the old saying "When you are handed lemons - Make lemonade".

Sometimes mistakes turn out to be our best things.

Hugs

FredaB

Friday, 24 September, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!