Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Changes in my routine.

I have been hosting a Guidance Group in my home for the Embroiderers Guild for the past couple of years.  It started out with just five people meeting in my home once a month to sit and sew.  We all got on well, and it would have continued, but when Ken was having operations and extended time off work, I postponed the group until he was back at work.  Then he decided to take Wednesdays off, so I had to change my Group day to Tuesdays.  That didn't suit three of my ladies, so they didn't come back, so there were only three of us for a few months.  I put a notice in the Guild magazine to invite anyone else in my area to attend our group, and had three responses.  One lady came once, and the other two never turned up at all.
So yesterday, I rung the Guild and cancelled my Group for the time being.  I'm not going to sit at home all day and wait for people who don't turn up!  The one lady who did come regularly will keep in touch and we'll probably get together now and then.

 In the meantime, yesterday was one of Melbourne's perfect Autumn days, too nice to sit indoors and stitch.  So I called my friend Helen, who was doing nothing exciting, and she was delighted when I offered to pick her up and take her out for a coffee.   As she can't get about easily, I left her to sit and 'people-watch' while I did a bit of shopping.   I'm glad my group fell through yesterday; it was much nicer to spend time with a dear friend who likes my company!

Today I was doing some sewing in my room at the front of our house, and a movement outside caught my eye.  I grabbed my camera and took this photo through the window of the beautiful King Parrot.
 Then I went outside to take some more photos, as he didn't seem concerned at my presence.  The other photos are on my birds blog here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Gina, that birdie is gorgeous! We don't have birds like that here but we do have the Orioles which just came back. They're beautiful and go through oranges faster than I do!

Hugs, Pam

Friday, 11 May, 2012  
Blogger cell said...

wow ive never seen one of these! beautiful!

Sunday, 13 May, 2012  
Blogger Pam said...

How kind of you to imagine that I might be fading away to skin and bone. Alas, no!

Beautiful parrot indeed.

Monday, 14 May, 2012  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Gina

I wish I had some friends to enjoy an afternoon of embroidery or just sewing. I have a group in Florida and we meet every second Monday and have been doing that for over 12 years. I miss that here. I used to belong to the embroiderer's guild but gave up a lot of my clubs when we started spending the whole winter in Florida. I was making maybe one or at the most 2 meetings a year. Wasn't worth it. I can see why you stopped your group if it dwindled like that.

It is so nice of you to take Helen out. I bet this really means so much to her. It is not the same as her husband taking her out. It is different chatting with a good
friend.
Kudos to you.

Hugs

FredaB

Saturday, 19 May, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!