Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, October 14, 2005

No news is good news.

Today was The Day. The consequences of Ken's smoking are becoming more pronounced. After three weeks of tests, his cardiologist presented us with the results today. He is not going to allow Vic Roads to renew Ken's heavy vehicle (bus) licence, due to the deterioration in his heart condition. So as of now, Ken is effectively without a job.. Retired if you like. He went to the Bus company after seeing the doctor, and told the boss what has happened. They regard Ken highly in there, as he has an excellent driving record, is reliable, and not prone to abusing people. The boss is going to see if they can work out something else for Ken to do, to stay with the company, but the bottom line is, you're either a bus driver, or you're not a bus driver. Ken wouldn't be able to work in the operations (office) for a number of reasons, so his chances are slim. He has to go into hospital next week for an angiogram, but the cardiologist warned him that it probably won't make any difference to his heart; they just want to check on the state of the arteries.

Ken has been on the phone for a couple of hours tonight, telling his family the news. It was good that he could get it off his chest. Not much he could tell me, as I was with him all day, and of course we discussed it when he felt like talking. But I am just letting him be, at the moment. He is still officially on vacation, but my jocular comments of a few weeks ago have come back to haunt me now. (I said while ironing his work shirts, that it might be a wasted effort, if he never goes back to work).

So, after next week when the surgeon will confirm his diagnosis, we will be having to make some major decisions. Will we continue to live in this house, in this suburb? Will he look for part time work doing something less stressful, or will he apply for a disability pension (he can't get the old-age pension until 65)? And will we go ahead with the renovations we had been planning a month ago? Questions, questions, and no easy answers. What will be, will be, as the song goes. I am cautiously optimistic, and think that this could be the start of an easier lifestyle for both of us in the next couple of years. I did ask the surgeon on our way out of his office; what is the long-term prognosis for Ken, and he said "He can look forward to a long happy retirement, if he takes care of himself now". Only time will tell.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Wright said...

Gina, I feel so bad for Ken, even tho I don't know him, I had a tear in my eye. I am glad I stopped smoking but it's hard to resist having another.

Friday, 14 October, 2005  
Blogger Linda said...

I am feeling for you both - but look at it this way - more time together, more time to develop interests - we are at that time of life where it really, truly is time to stop and smell the flowers - cliche though that may be.

Thinking of you both, very much.

Friday, 14 October, 2005  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Gina, they say when one door closes, another one opens up. A long and happy retirement sounds good to me and who knows what wonderful things might be behind that other door!

My thoughts are with you both.

Friday, 14 October, 2005  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Gina, not much more that I can add to what the other ladies have said. I am thinking of you both & I am sure something will come up regarding his employment. just remember, you can always email me if you need to vent - internet friends come in handy sometimes xx

Friday, 14 October, 2005  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you all, dear Friends. The strange thing is, that if you saw Ken sitting next to me right now, messing around on his laptop, you would think there is nothing wrong with him at all. He has a good appetite, and is his usual quiet self. The surgeon said yesterday that Ken is one of the few people who for some reason, can have angina, but not feel any pain. So the danger is, if he has a heart attack, there will be no warning. You may have heard of people who suddenly drop dead on a dance floor, or just say they don't feel well, go and lie down, and just kark it. I guess that's what is bothering me - for the rest of our lives, I have to be aware of this and watch for any signs. Talk about a cat on a hot tin roof...

Friday, 14 October, 2005  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

'He can look forward to a long happy retirement, if he takes care of himself now'.

remember this is what the Dr said.... I know it is so easy to always think/remember the worst. I do it all the time but try to stay positive - x x x

Friday, 14 October, 2005  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina,
I'm not sure what to say other than please tell Ken to take care of himself. It sounds like per the doctor, he's got a good chance.
If my aunt would have she'd be her today.
Treasure today and I will continue to keep both of you in my thoughts. I'll write more later on. Big Hugs to the both of you.
Patty

Sunday, 16 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!