Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Finally!! Doing the work I have been trained for..

I started working for our council in my present job 5 years ago, doing home care in people's homes. Home Care consists of vaccuming, mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, washing, ironing, and shopping. Not all my clients have all of these things done for them! Our work depends on the needs of each individual. Three years ago, my employer offered a dozen of the Home carers the opportunity to do a year's course in Personal Care, which would normally cost several hundred dollars, but the government subsidised us, which meant we only had to pay $40 each. I took up their offer, as I had previous experience in nursing homes, and was interested in gaining qualifications to further my career in aged care.

After we qualified, we expected to receive more personal care work and less home care. Some girls didn't want to do personal care after doing the course; they found it too challenging. But I was looking forward to it. Time went by, and no PC work came my way, despite me asking about it time and time again. I have my theories as to why this was, and I am not going to go into that here, but after several staff changes in the office, I now have one roster clerk who is looking out for me, and has found me a new client who requires me to shower her twice a week. I went there for the first time on Monday, and we took an instant liking to each other. She is a stroke victim, and as my Mum was the same, I can strongly relate to her problems. There was evidence around her home that she had once been a prolific embroiderer, so of course we had something to chat about while I was attending to her.

While I know that the housework I do for my other clients is greatly appreciated, I find personal care more rewarding, so I am looking forward to doing more of this kind of work. It is also less physically demanding - cleaning three houses a day makes this nearly 60-year-old lady VERY tired!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cookie said...

I know what you mean....Im nearly 60 and cleaning my own house in one day tires me out !!!!! Good on you for doing such wonderful work. We need more angels like you.

Wednesday, 08 February, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's lovely that you are doing work you love. I'm really happy for you.
I agree with Maureen, we need more like you!

Thursday, 09 February, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

you are amazing, Gina! I really admire you xoxo so glad that you finally got the work you so much wanted to do - like my nan use to say - everything comes to those who wait.
and there is no way, I could clean my house in oneday - that is why I do certain chores daily.

Thursday, 09 February, 2006  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina,
I'm trying to get caught up. LOL Haven't really been posting or reading blogs. Just not enough hours in day. ;-) But even though I haven't posted. I always keep you and Ken in my thoughts. :-)
You never cease to amaze me. You are truely a rare and special person in this self-centered quick fix world.
No matter how down I am. You and only a few others perk me up. Thank you for being the special person you are.
Hugs,
Patty

Friday, 10 February, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Clearly, everything comes to she who waits! What a blessing to be able to use your preferred skills and fancing meeting someone with similar interests at first go. May you continue to prosper along with your skills.

Friday, 10 February, 2006  
Blogger Dawn said...

This is wonderful Gina! I'm certain you are/will be greatly appreciated through your work and loving kindness.

Friday, 10 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!