Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

And Tuesday has been just as bad!

Well, almost. I took one of my elderly Japanese friends over to the local shopping complex this morning, as she wanted to buy some pyjamas. She is a tiny - and I mean VERY tiny! little person, and the smallest adult womens' clothes are too big, so she buys children's clothes if she can get away with it. We had a quick look at the pyjamas in "Womens Wear" and went on to the kids' clothing section. Nothing there that she liked, so we went on to another department store and finally found something that fitted her, after trying on dozens of pyjama tops. Then she wanted three of the same outfit, so I found them for her and we headed for the checkout. After that we went into the supermarket for some groceries for both of us, and as she uses a walking stick, and carries a rather large bag, I had to carry all the other stuff back to the car - after we stopped half way for a coffee.
Now I am not complaining about any of this - I enjoy the company of my wee friend, and I am glad to be of help to her when it comes to shopping for clothes. But by the time I got home, my arthritic hands were soooooo sore after carrying those heavy bags. Still, there was work to be done, so I got stuck into it. I had not bothered dusting, vaccuuming or mopping floors since the work began in the back yard, as the dust and dirt just keeps finding its way inside, so I figured it wasn't worth even trying to keep the house clean. But today I decided I'd had enough, so I got out the vaccum cleaner and 'did' the whole house. Everything was fine until I used the nozzle to remove some cobwebs from the kitchen ceiling...and smashed one of the fluoro. lights to smithereens. Aggghhhh!!! Cleaned that up, put the vaccum cleaner away, and got the mop out. About half way through that job, I kicked the bucket over accidentally (well, of course - who would do it deliberately??), and the water spilled onto the carpet in the dining room. About this time, Ken walked in through the front door, and I growled "You had better turn round and go out again; this is not a nice place to be right now!" To which he took offence and did just that, slamming the door behind him! WAAAAGHH! So I had to run after him trying to convince him I was joking, it was nothing he had done, but boy he was going to be mad at me when I told him about the light I had smashed...

Turns out he was 'only joking' too, and had walked back out just to stir me up - yeah, funneeeeeee...But he wasn't mad about the light. Just commented that as it was so old, they might not make those fittings any more and the whole thing might have to be replaced by an electrician. Oh God, what next? At least the back yard is coming along nicely. Which reminds me - I haven't taken a progress photo this week. (writes note to remind self to take photos tomorrow before it rains).

8 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

you poor thing - I have just started to get a little arthritis in my hands and it hurts. Have you tried tiger balm? it seems to relieve the pain.
had a little chuckle at ken's joke of walking out in a huff!

Wednesday, 08 March, 2006  
Blogger Pam said...

Just thought I'd say hello, and that I enjoy both your blogs. I've been reading them for a few months but never commented before because I didn't know how to. But now I do! I live in Edinburgh, in Scotland - a long way away in miles, but no distance in cyberspace.

Thursday, 09 March, 2006  
Blogger Anne S said...

Oh no, poor Gina - you guys have really been through the wringer this week haven't you? Hope this is the end of it for you! And I agree about the Tiger Balm ... great stuff! :D

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger Shell said...

Awww, gosh - I know those days! Sounds positively dreadful and incredibly frustrating. They are the kind of days where I seriously lose the plot - I have the shortest fuse and when the universe messes with me I get damn angry! Hehe, we always look back and laugh at ourselves don't we? Hope the days since have been much better!

Saturday, 11 March, 2006  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hullo girls! Thank you all for your concern and hugs - gratefully received! Gosh, things weren't so bad really - just funny how it never rains but it pours, as the saying goes. No, I haven't tried Tiger Balm, but I might give it a go, as I have heard good things about it for years. But, they don't actually use bits of real tigers in it, do they? If they do, there is no way I would buy it!
Isabelle - lovely to meet you! I have left a message on your blog in return.

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  
Blogger Crookedpaw said...

No. Tiger is just the brand identification. The red label is a bit stronger.

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  
Blogger Ashleigh said...

Yikes! What a week! I hate those old flourescent lights - we had them in Africa and they do break very easily!

I have some linens for you - do you want to email me your address??

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thanks for that, Crooked Paw! I actually made that comment as a joke, because I figured if the manufacturers did use tiger parts, it wouldn't get into the country.
Ashleigh, how kind of you! I will email you direct if I can access you through your blog.

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!