Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Saturday, 8th July.

Some weekends fly by, with lots happening, and other times, we just drift - go with the flow of events as they happen. Yesterday was one such day. Ken had an appointment with his chiropractor in the morning, and planned to follow that with a visit to Greensborough, our nearest major shopping complex. I decided to go with him, and as usual, this was a big mistake financially-speaking. If he goes on his own, he just buys what he wants and comes home. But if I'm with him, we get side-tracked...

The first outlay was for tickets to a movie that night (more about that further down), and we followed that with a cup of coffee. Then we went to Ezy DVD, Ken's favourite spot for checking out what's new in movies on DVD. He found one that he had seen advertised (a military tattoo show we hadn't seen), and I found a Paul Hogan DVD that I thought would be amusing, so another $40 went out the window. Then, both of us being suckers for animals, we just had to stop at the pet shop. There were the usual rabbits, puppies and kittens to be oohed and aahed over, then we had a look at the fish. Have you ever seen those Siamese Fighting Fish that have to be kept in a little bowl or tank on their own? Thanks to a very informative and clever saleslady, we now own one. $40 for the fish, tiny little tank (about 6 inches high and 4 inches in diameter), food and water conditioner. Ken used to have a small tank with tropical fish, but he quit after they all died (not all at once!) and put the tank in a cupboard somewhere...I think. Might even be under the house.

Having got this little person safely home in its tank, we had to find a spot to place it where Topsy wouldn't see it. (I had vivid imaginings of finding a broken tank, water and a chewed fish on the floor..) So at the moment, it is on top of the microwave oven in the kitchen, where we can enjoy seeing it, but Topsy can't see it, although I wouldn't put it past her to sense something is up there, leap up on to the bench, and from there leap on top of the microwave, and voila! Snack time. So we have decided that when we aren't home, Miss Fish will live in our bedroom, seeing we close the door if we aren't around, so Topsy can't get in there and hide in our bed.

The movie we went to was "Superman Returns". Some of our friends had seen it, and were a bit "how's your father" about it (meaning they were not enthusiastic), but as Ken and I have fond memories of George Reeves (before Christopher) as Superman on t.v. when we were kids, we decided to go see it anyway. We both enjoyed it very much indeed. Lots of action of course, and great sound effects. At one stage, Superman is critically ill in hospital and the ever-faithful Lois Lane goes in to hold his hand and tell him she loves him. She tells him that although he is unconscious, she thinks because they have a close and special connection, he will be aware that she is there. At this point, Ken grabbed my hand and squeezed it and I knew exactly why. Lois was perfectly right, and Ken was remembering when he was in hospital and I came in every day and talked to him, even though he wasn't able to respond. He told me later he could hear me, and it calmed him down.

Thus ended our Saturday. I am wondering what Sunday will bring?

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Ah, that was a very touching little story. How nice that is has a happy ending.

Sunday, 09 July, 2006  
Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Its just such fun though isn't it going out shopping and coming back with such unexpected things that weren't on the list of purchases to make. I've often got side tracked like that but I have to admit I have not managed to come home with anything as exciting as fighting fish.

Sunday, 09 July, 2006  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Good morning Gina!
I'm glad you had a good time. :)
Hugs,
Patty

Sunday, 09 July, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

so, you mean to say, that you went out and didn't buy one piece of linen? ha!
we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean on the weekend - loved it!
love that story of Ken & you - it brings tears to my eyes

Monday, 10 July, 2006  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, How lovely nothing like a day at the shops to get rid of some cash! The miss fish sound cute and I am sure you enjoy it very much.

See you soon!
best wishes Lee-ann

Friday, 14 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!