Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

What's new, Pussycat?

Have you ever thought you were the only person crazy enough to do a certain thing, then discovered that there are actually thousands, even millions - of others with the same interest? I used to think that the only other people who frequented op-shops (thrift stores) were poor people who couldn't afford to buy new things. In fact I sometimes felt guilty that I was getting my clothes etc. so cheap when I could afford (to a degree) to pay full price for new stuff. Then I found some of my friends also liked to buy second-hand stuff....THEN I discovered blogging and found LOTS of other people loved secondhand stuff! Tonight I made an even more surprising discovery - a BLOKE that loves thrift shops!! Check this out: Manic Thrift Store Shopper

Ken has been busy with eBay and Amazon.com as well as other Internet sites dealing with music and movies. He ordered two DVDs from England by email last Wednesday (28th June) and they arrived yesterday - Monday 3rd July! It has to be a record from England to Australia; it takes longer than that for a parcel to get from Western Australia to Victoria! The DVDs were Placido Domingo and Classical Chillout, both of which we saw advertised on another DVD and decided we would like to have.

I am on another crusade this week, for a disabled home care client. Her recycle wheelie bin had been filled up with bundles of advertising brochures (otherwise known as junk mail), still in their unsorted state of several hundred tied up with tape. Obviously the person who was supposed to collate them and deliver them to letterboxes decided he/she couldn't be bothered this week, and dumped them into my client's bin. Possibly knowing she is disabled and wouldn't be able to do anything about it. I nearly broke my back when I tried to wheel it out onto the kerb for collection. So I opened it to see what was making it so heavy, and when I discovered what it was, I told my client, then called the distributor, who was very angry about it, and apologised profusely for the inconvenience. She promised to send someone out the next day and remove the brochures from the bin before it is due to be emptied (Wednesday), and they would trace the person who was responsible. That night, I emailed a "thumbs down" letter to our local paper...be interesting to see if this one is published. They'll be getting tired of me!

1 Comments:

Blogger Calidore said...

I guess on a plus side of the advertising brochures - they were being recycled..lol. How horrible for your client though - and what a lazy thing for someone to do - dump them and not even complete the job they are paid for. Do keep us up to date on what happens with your letter in the paper.

Wednesday, 05 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!