Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Once every five years, we must take stock.

Yup, it is Census night. Have all you good Aussies filled out your census forms? I am one of those weird people who just love filling out forms, surveys, questionaires, etc. Maybe it is an Aries thing? I filled out my bit and Ken did his bit after me - reluctantly, mind you, but no way was he going to let me do this all important task all on my own!

I get cross with people who object to the census. As I said to someone today - 'how do you think all this (waving my arms around a government building) works? It doesn't just happen without directions'. The Powers-That-Be need to know stuff about the entire population, in order to plan for the future, e.g. where people are living or moving to, so hospitals and schools can be built. How many people are needing care of some sort, and how many people do this for a living? The census will enable the ABS to figure out whether there are enough carers for those who need it, and if not, plan to put training in place. Another question addresses what transport people use day to day. From the answers to this, governments can make long term plans about public transport and roads.

Sorry to get on my soapbox about this topic, but those who scream 'invasion of privacy' just don't get the bigger picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!