Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, July 31, 2006

How do I get sucked in to these things?

Anybody who has been reading my tales of woe about lack of time to do all the things I want to do, will now believe I have rocks in my head. I've just tied myself down to one day a month as a volunteer at the Embroiderer's Guild. It started when I received the monthly newsletter last week. Their annual exhibition opens on Saturday 5th of August and this is the busiest time of the year for the Guild, as it is widely advertised, and attracts a lot of people who would not normally visit their premises. There was a plaintive little notice in the newsletter, asking for volunteers to help clean up the front garden in readiness for the onslaught of visiting public next week. So on Saturday I packed my gardening gloves and kneeling mat in a bag and drove over there (about 50 minutes drive). For three hours I dug and weeded, along with two other Guild members and one hubby (not mine). We made a big difference, I am pleased to say, and I was completely stuffed when I finally got home! I stopped on the way home to collect Ken's Mum, who stayed with us over the weekend, and when we got home, I had washing to do, meals to cook, etc. so about 5 pm I ran a nice hot bath and soaked in it for about half an hour!

But I'm digressing...the gardening episode was a one-off thing, and where I got myself caught was another notice in the same newsletter. The Guild has one person who is paid to manage the premises every day, assisted by a team of volunteers who are on a roster basis. They needed somebody on the first Tuesday of every month, as a "gallery hostess" from 10 am to 3 pm. The role entails spending most of the time in the display hall which is open every day to Guild members as well as the public, although of course it is rarely frantically busy, owing to the nature of the Guild (not too many people are interested in embroidery these days!). Various minor duties like answering phone calls, making sure there is fresh supplies in the kitchen and bathroom, etc. don't take up five hours, so the volunteers usually bring some stitching to do while they are on duty.

My working week is Monday/Wednesday/Friday, with a late afternoon shift on Thursdays. So Tuesday is my 'free' day. Ha... Now, a couple of years ago, I visited the Guild once a month on a Sunday, but Ken kept on complaining that we couldn't do things together if I kept on going off on my own, so I stopped going. When I saw this notice, I decided I can still visit the Guild once a month - on a Tuesday when Ken is at work and won't miss me! So I volunteered my services, and was eagerly snapped up. My first day is tomorrow, and I have decided to take an old duchess set with me to stitch in my spare time - hopefully I WILL get some spare time! Gosh, if I don't, I'll withdraw my offer - volunteers shouldn't be slaves - lol!

4 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Lupin said...

Well just think if you do get some quiet times, you will be surrounded by beautiful work whilst you do your own stitching. Sounds interesting. I did laugh about God saying about a pile of linens to sort. Love xx

Tuesday, 01 August, 2006  
Blogger Anne S said...

Good on you volunteering for Tuesdays at the Guild ... have to admit, I was looking at that too, but it's hard for me on shift as I couldn't do it regularly every month - will be nice to see your face out there, will have to pop out and say hi :)

Wednesday, 02 August, 2006  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, I could think of no better person for the challenge! well done I think it is a great idear and if I ever wish to see you I will drop in there on a Tuesday right! lol lol lol!

Thursday, 03 August, 2006  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Hi Gena - gawd - alot of catching up for me on all of these blogs!
so, I am back - new name, new blog.
you are an amazing person. I love to garden, but there is no way that I could do it volunteering now as my back would ache way too much. I found that after all my volunteering when my children were young, I had to give it up. I had to learn to sit on my hands and not volunteer. I got burnt out. I still do some volunteer work but not on a regular basis. good for you though! keeps you out of mischief ;) xoox

Friday, 04 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!