Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, January 15, 2007

On a more serious note...

I know I'm not alone, but I am increasingly worried about the state of our water supplies. Foxtel Weather have a daily report of how much is in Melbourne's water storage, and the rate at which it is dropping is alarming. The other capital cities are in a similar position, and as for the rural areas...well, they are much worse off as they don't have the huge storage reservoirs like the cities.

People talk about the lack of rain, but what they don't seem to realise is that it is not just rainfall we rely on to fill our dams. Melbourne's water supply comes mostly from the mountains in northern Victoria. The snow that falls in winter melts in spring and flows down the rivers to the reservoirs, topping them up in time for summer. Well, that's what used to happen, but last winter I heard on some report that we are getting 40% less snow in Victoria than we did 20 years ago. That is even more alarming.

It's no use blaming governments past and present about the situation. Even if Australians had been more careful with water since white men settled here, climate change is inevitable. It is a part of the life cycle of Earth like the last ice age which I read recently was only 12,000 years ago - a blink of an eye in the age of the planet. We just happen to be alive and living here at this point in time. So, what is going to happen? Desalination of sea water? Recycling of grey and other water? All of that and more, no doubt.

When Ken and I bought our house 25 years ago, we wanted to install a rainwater tank, but the council at that time didn't allow them. Rainwater tanks were considered an eyesore...Can you believe such nonsense? We wondered what sort of a community we'd moved into! Now, governments are handing out financial rebates to people who install power and water saving devices in their homes. Better late than never, I guess. But - and there is always a 'but', isn't there - I heard that some people are installing rainwater tanks and FILLING THEM UP WITH THEIR GARDEN HOSES. Now that really is a case of shit for brains, and no apologies for that word.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

years ago, here in Sydney, water tanks were common until Sydney water/govt ruled them illegal. yes ILLEGAL. can you believe that? Now they are paying a rebate if you install one. ha!
it is alarming, this drought. I worry constantly about it. what to do?
de-salinisation plants cause more problems than they are worth but that is debatable by many. I would rather see water harvested somehow when it rains - there is so much water going down the drain when it does rain. Most of our rain is missing the catchment area.
also most water is not used by householders but by business.
have you seen Al Gore's movie?

Monday, 15 January, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hi Robyn,
I agree with you about desalinisation - a number of environmental experts feel the same way. No, I haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth" yet - we missed it when it was at our local theatre, but I have ordered the DVD from Amazon.com.

Thursday, 18 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!