Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It's not looking good...


...In fact it is looking extremely bad. The above photo is of Sydney's catchment area. Melbourne's reservoirs don't look much different. Politicians, scientists and every man and his dog has an opinion, but when are they going to do something constructive? Building more dams is not an option - there's no water to fill them. Desalination? I don't know - how long would it take to build the infrastructure? Recycling all water seems the only short term solution that I can see..

Dam levels for capital cities as at 6th February.
BRISBANE: 22.52%
SYDNEY: 34.3%
CANBERRA: 35.84%
MELBOURNE: 36.1%
HOBART: 94.00%
ADELAIDE: 56.00 %
PERTH: 25.2%
DARWIN: 79%
Ironical to see that our least populated cities have the most water...

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I have an opinion too - when the pollies start drinking the recycled water, and prove it is ok, then I will too. desalinisation will cause more problems - I think we need to harvest water - we have millions of gallons going down the drain as storm water - they need to catch it. Here in the mountains it rains more than in the catchment area and where does that water go? out to sea. we have an idiot here in NSW as a premier - puts his head in the sand. our pipes are leaking and not being fixed but at least we had the olympics :) - off my soapbox now.

Wednesday, 07 February, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

LOL Robyn, it will be interesting to see if the Qld. Premier will be the first to take a sip of their recycled water! You're right about storm water going down the drains, but I think that ends up at Werribee here, for some kind of purification before being sent out to sea...
Pipes leaking - yeah, we have water mains pipes bursting every other day here. Poor old Melbourne Water is copping so much flak, but it's not their fault. The drought is drying up the land so badly it is cracking the pipes, as well as many houses...God, where is it going to end...

Wednesday, 07 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here Gina and Robyn. We should all be GIVEN water tanks from the government and have mandatory recycling systems to use our washing and bathing water on our gardens. I could go on forever. Think of how much water we waste going down the shower/bath/sink drain. I also am all for solar energy at the moment. I am trying to teach my babes how precious our planet is... and all the ways we can prevent its deterioration. Now I'm going to have to go lay down and calm myself down....lol
What an awesome subjest Gina... xox Nicole

Thursday, 08 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!