Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Lorikeets in a flowering Eucalypt.

This gorgeous flowering gum tree was planted in our front garden about 5 years ago, when it was just a 6 inch tuber. This year, despite the drought, it has flowered continuously, much to the delight of our lorikeet family, who now turn up their beaks at our offerings of seeds and apple!

The lorikeets were a bit suspicious about my camera being pointed at them!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

The Lorikeets are trees are so beautiful. I bet they sound pretty too.

Sunday, 06 May, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

There's a lot of lorikeets and parakeets around the suburbs this year ... also heaps of white cockies !! I'm in the Knox area, where are you ???
Take care, Meow

Monday, 07 May, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gina - the party is clearly on at your place. You have not only landscaped your garden. You have birdscaped it as well. Oh, Patty, I have to smile about thinking they sound pretty. One thing northern hemisphere people notice about Aussie birds is that so few of them have pretty songs. The Lorikeets get drunk on the blossom and sound like a bunch of human drunks - very noisy, and not much tune. Hi, Meow. I live in the Knox area - at Upper Gully. And the cockies around here! Up in Mountview Avenue I think someone must freed them - because there are quite often heaps of them up the Dawson Street in. So either there fed or they are freeloading off the Maxi Supermarket! I regard the white cockie as the yobbo of the bush. So destructive. I have a wonderful painting (it will be for sale at our garage sale next Saturday at the Trad Pad) of white cockatoos - and I don't hang it any more. Have seen too much of the white cockies to find pleasure in them. But I do love the lorikeets. That's why I have one featured at The Trad Pad.

Blessings and bliss

Monday, 07 May, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Patty, read Miss Eagle's comments about the sounds our native birds make - musical they are not! But we still love 'em - especially the Laughing Jackass/Kookaburra. They make me laugh every time I hear them.
Yes Meow and Miss Eagle - the white cockies are all over the place this year, aren't they. I'm in Eltham by the way - not too far away from you guys!

Wednesday, 09 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!