Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

My dear old PC is close to melt down!

I had a bad few hours tonight. My computer, a six year old Compaq Presario, using the ME operating system - has a habit of freezing now and then. I've been told by experts (a) to upgrade it (out of the question - too expensive) and (b) replace ME with XP or Vista (too complicated for me). They say that ME has always been unstable and notorious for freezing, but I've put up with it. When it gets too bad, I run Scandisk and Defrag, and Ad-Aware and Spybot, and the combination of all those seems to speed it up and stop the hiccups...for a few months. Then it starts all over again.

This week however, after doing all the maintenance stuff, it kept on freezing, and tonight I had another go with Spybot, but everytime I tried, the screen blacked out, then appeared blue, with error messages. Oh yes, I've heard the blue screen of death or whatever they call it! But I don't give up easily...so I ran a virus check. That went for well over an hour, without freezing once! I said to Ken, well, there can't be too much wrong with it! So I tried reading and sending a few emails and it was okay for a bit, then I got half a dozen of those damn blue screens again, all with different error messages! Eventually I just turned the power off, then on again after a minute, and it restarted okay, and here I am...so far, so good.

Does anyone reading this know what any of these error messages mean?
File AVV7RS(01)+00002745 Error:OE:0028 C0158B41
Or - OE:018888887:Bff8E64B
Or - OE28:C0030D12

I know there are websites where you can go which will tell you what they mean, but I just thought there might be a computer whizkid out there reading this....I also know the hard drive case needs to be opened up and given a good dust, but only one person has ever done this for me, and he hasn't been over here for a while...(Hint hint, you know who you are!). Ken says he isn't game to touch it, because if anything happened, he'd never hear the end of it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Wright said...

Oh you poor dear! I don't know what those errors are off-hand. I have a two year old computer with XP. I honestly would suggest just going and have one built for you. It's cheaper that way. Mine was built for me. All the best to you!

Saturday, 23 June, 2007  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, Sorry cant help you either.My puters about 2 years old and I also run xp was told not to try Vista yet its 2 new still got a few bugs,used to run Millium 2000 was well noted for freezing thats why we change and no problem since, I can recommend (Bundoora Computors)he will build to your spec.and price,thats were i got mine,

Saturday, 23 June, 2007  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hi Sunny and Jeanette, thank you for your suggestions. Having one built just for me would make me even more nervous about what could go wrong! At least when you buy a brand name, there is usually some kind of warranty and online customer service, etc. I'll stick with this one for as long as it works...I have some friends who have computers even older than mine, and they are still using Windows 98! I guess I should think about doing back ups now and then. I've never got around to copying stuff onto anything else - don't even know how to.

Sunday, 24 June, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Sorry, GIna, no idea what the message means, although I know the blue screen is scary stuff !!
Good luck with it all.
I'd go get a new computer, though ... with XP, rather than Vista (I agree with Jeanette ... Vista is still too new).
Take care, Meow

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!