Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Should I have been a school teacher?

No, I don't think I would last five minutes in front of a class of unruly kids, and even less in a class of kids who were smarter than me! My question relates to the effect I apparently have sometimes, on people, animals and objects. A friend (male) once told me that while he liked me as a friend, he wouldn't like to be married to me, as I can be very intimidating sometimes (read that as hot-tempered/wanting my own way). Being small (5 ft. 2 inches) and having two much older brothers, I suppose I did grow up with an attitude of trying to defend myself for much of the time!

As you may have read here a few weeks ago, our cat Topsy was in grave danger of being relocated to the Cat Protection Society from whence she came in the first place. She had been very aggressive to both Ken and I, to the point of biting and scratching us without provocation. I told her, eye to eye, one day, that we were going to get rid of her, and I was actually shocked when she looked straight at me, then dropped her head down as if she was crying. Do you know, from that day on, her behaviour has completely turned around. She no longer attacks us, and even jumps up on the bed at night sometimes, to come and lie between us, purring her little heart out. She has NEVER done this before in the three and a half years we've had her!

This time last night, I was battling to stay online with this computer. In spite of all the maintenance stuff I'd done on it, the wretched thing kept freezing, and throwing up blue screens and error messages. Ken offered to pull the cover off and dust the insides, and a friend who shall remain nameless offered over the phone today to give it a blow job....I don't know which threat did the trick, but it is now half an hour past midnight, and I have been on here non stop since about 8.30 pm. Not a hiccup to be heard, not a blue screen to be seen. What is this power I possess that has such an extraordinary effect on the people/things I threaten? Nah, get real. It's all just coincidence, right? (Just don't piss me off...)

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Robyn said...

I really don't think you would cope with being a school teacher :) - you have the same views as me and there is absolutely no way that I could cope with it, especially high school - lord, how do those teachers cope?
I could say more but I won't... hee, hee

Sunday, 24 June, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gina, I did keep my promise... though blogger would'nt allow me to post, I did visit you yesterday.

I think you would have made an excellent school teacher.... because of your communication skills. I hve always thought you to be extremely good at putting your point across and listening to the responses made. I bet you were a debater in school. You know those dinner parties where there is lots of good wine and good talk.... I can see you across the table from me now.
I believe that animals understand what we are communicating to them. When I call Floyd's name.... for example.... he looks up at me. When I tell him to get onto his blanket (on the couch) he does. I am so pleased that Topsy is finally awake to her behaviour. It is heart warming to hear that she is sorry for her scratching and biting. It must have brought you all closer together.
'Blow job" lol

xox Nic

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Well done with Topsy ... sounds like you have a new kitty !!
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!