Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Update on Helen.

I visited Helen today (Monday) in hospital. I was finally free of germs (well, I'd stopped coughing!), and decided to go in the middle of the day instead of later. Less traffic to deal with, and less likelihood of heaps of visitors. I was in luck - I was her first visitor for the day, and her face lit up when she saw me walk into the ward. She is in a ward with three men, poor thing. They've all had strokes of varying degrees, so they are not lively company for Helen, who is normally a very sociable person.

She was out of her bed and sitting in some kind of big wheelchair in her nightie, with a blanket over her lap. She'd been trying to eat her lunch, but wasn't too enthusiastic about it. Her left arm and leg are totally lifeless, but she's been told that with long term physiotherapy she should get some movement back. Her speech isn't too bad, in that I had no trouble understanding her, but it is an effort for her to talk. She was eager to hear my tale of woe about the work situation, and smiled when I said "Once you're back home, I'll have plenty of time to be your secretary and type your blog posts up!" I'd done a printout of all the messages on this blog from her blog friends, and she was so touched that so many people were thinking of her, especially as she has not been blogging for very long. She instructed me to say hello to you all, and said she has lots of great photos from the first ten days of their W.A. trip to post on her blog as soon as she is able to!

I was shocked to learn that Helen's mother died back here in Victoria the day after Helen had the stroke. (She was very old, and in a nursing home). As Helen told me, tears came to her eyes, and when I looked for a box of tissues, she smiled and said "I went through so many boxes of Kleenex when I first arrived, I think they're run out of stock!" I combed her hair before I left, as I've found with some of my home care clients that this is very soothing, and Helen agreed that it felt lovely.

Another visitor arrived about half an hour after I got there, so I stayed for a few minutes, then left them to chat. I promised Helen I'd make some bibs for her, as she said the hospital don't provide anything except paper napkins, and most of the stroke sufferers end up with half their food down their front. When I got home, I hunted up some damask napkins that I had in my collection, shaped a neckline and added a piece of ribbon to go around her neck. Voila! I rung her to ask how many she wanted and she said I should go into business for the whole stroke ward!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina, Thankyou for keeping us informed on Helen's progress.and pleased to hear of her improvement. and so sorry to hear of Helen's Mums passing so soon after Helen had the stroke. We had trouble parking at the Austin hospital as they were still working on the undergaound parking, When my Alan was there on 7th floor (stroke). sending Big hugs to you and helen xoxox

Tuesday, 16 October, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gina, what a wonderful and practical idea with the bibs! Thoughtful Friend of the Year Award methinks! Simply 'mazing! Give all my best to Helen although she has never met me.

Blessings and bliss

Wednesday, 17 October, 2007  
Blogger Alice said...

Thank you, Gina, for keeping us up to date about Helen. If you visit her again, please convey my sympathy on her mother's passing. Oh, my, what a blow at an already difficult time. I'm sure she enjoyed your visit. It is nice that she is able to speak understandably. I do hope her therapy gets her strong enough to return to her lovely home and gardens.

Thursday, 18 October, 2007  
Blogger RUTH said...

I'm so plesed you were well enough to visit Helen. Thank you for passing our messages on. I'm sorry to hear about Helen's Mum; an extra {{hug}}. What a shame the hosptal doesn't provide some sort of bib...it would help the patients maintain their dignity...very important! I've no doubt that your visit did much too cheer Helen...she has a long, tough road ahead of her and having a good friend like you will really help. I hope the rest of her family are coping ok...a difficult time for them too.
Group {{HUGS}}
Rx

Thursday, 18 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!