Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Day In the Life Of...

This afternoon I was telling a friend what happens at the nursing home where I work for three hour shifts. The lady I look after was a bit aggressive yesterday, and among other things, threw her breakfast at the nurse who was feeding her at the time, spat a mouthful of lunch at me, squeezed my hand until I thought my fingers would snap, and snatched something from my hand and threw it at me. Poor dear was having a bad day (this is not meant to be humorous by the way). Today, in complete contrast, she was very quiet and sleepy, ate most of her food instead of refusing it, and wanted me to cuddle her (which I did).

One of the male residents was having a very bad day. He sat with his eyes closed, and held a loud conversation with himself, most of which consisted of the F word and other choice language. We (the staff) were laughing some of the time but after a while it got a bit much, so we tried one by one to quieten him down, but he would have none of it. He finally stopped when he was being fed his lunch, and when I commented on the peace and quiet, my client looked at me and smiled! You never know just how much of their environment dementia-affected people take in.

Finally (and stupidly, I told Ken this at the tea table), one of the female residents who is always very quiet, was about to be given her lunch by one of the nurses, when she (the nurse) sniffed suspiciously. Put her hand under the resident and pulled it away with a yell of "Oh SHIT! Oh POOH!!" Yep, that's what it was. The rest of us absolutely cracked up!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Goodness, you're a saint. It's lucky there are people like you around. Pity that when I get to the age of needing you, you'll be that age too... Not to say on the other side of the world.

Friday, 29 February, 2008  
Blogger Jeanette said...

HI Gina, You are a special lady to be able to look after these dear old people that can no longer look after themselves, I think I would get to Attached to them and find it to distressing when they passed on.. take care sending you warm hugs....Jen

Saturday, 01 March, 2008  
Blogger Scribe With Gold said...

Hi Gina,
Your post inspired me to put some thoughts down on my blog. You are an awesome lady and I'm glad that we connected. :)
Have a great week.

Monday, 03 March, 2008  
Blogger Alice said...

Some part of these poor folks must still respond to kindness; your example of the lady who wanted held shows that. How fortunate they can be in such a warm, caring environment with you and the other nurses.

Tuesday, 04 March, 2008  
Blogger lindsaylobe said...

Good that you can talk about it, and share moments.
I heard that other day there are 200,000 who suffer from dementia in Australia.
Best wishes

Wednesday, 05 March, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!