Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I am married to Ken. We have no children except a cat and a collection of Australian parrots, finches, canaries and a dozen hens.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I came home nice and relaxed from my walk with Val in the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Ken came home exhausted after battling with the traffic all day. We were anticipating a quiet night wrapping gifts and watching carols on t.v.
At 7 pm the phone rang. Ken's sister called to tell us she was driving to their Mum's home to collect her and take her to hospital. We hopped in the car and took off to follow them. We arrived at the hospital about 8 pm and left about 2 am, after MIL was finally admitted. She was breathless, weak and confused, and blood tests revealed that she had an infection as well as an allergic reaction to some new medication. When we got home, I made up some sandwiches for us (we hadn't had tea), fed the cat (she hadn't had tea either), washed my hair (wouldn't have time in the morning) and hit the sack at 3 am.

The alarm went off at 8 am and I got dressed, fed myself and the cat, wished Ken a happy Christmas, and went to work. I was home by midday, found Ken still in bed, so I made us some brunch while he wrapped his gift for me, which took about half an hour as it was in several bits that would have to be assembled (eventually. Maybe next year). We opened our presents after we'd eaten, and about 3pm left to drive to his family Christmas gathering. SIL had decided that the family should all go to her stepson's new house this year for Christmas Day, so Ken and I dutifully drove the 64 kl. there and joined the rest of the family who were all there except SIL and BIL, who had decided at the last minute it was all too much and they stayed home on their own instead. (Ken and I would LOVE to do that. Just once.) We left the Country Retreat at 5.30 and drove back into Melbourne to visit MIL, who was marginally better than she was 24 hours ago, and delighted to see us. We arrived home about 10 pm, having driven over 300 kls. for the whole day.

Today, Boxing Day - was going to be a quiet day. I worked this morning, and again came home to find Ken still in bed, which pleased me, as he was tired out after yesterday, and I was quite concerned for his own health, let alone his Mum's! It was HOT here in Melbourne, so we spent the afternoon inside watching a DVD, then checking the aviaries to see if all the birds had enough food and water.
I was lucky enough to get a pic of most of the budgies all in a row. There are a few others in another aviary.

You might remember the baby budgies I had on here a little while ago? Here they are all grown up. If you look closely you might see the two yellow birds and the white one have red eyes. This is not the camera flash - Lutinos and Albinos have naturally red eyes instead of black like the blue and green birds here.
We've lost count of the number of finches we have - this is only one aviary; the one next to it is also full of finches!

They really are sweet little birds. Notice the ones on the left with black beaks? They are babies; the beaks don't turn red until maturity.


We had an early tea, and went in to visit MIL who again was very happy to see us.
We spoke to one of the medical staff who informed us that MIL had to be assessed by various professionals before she was discharged, and would go into respite care until we find permanent accomodation for her in an aged care facility. This is not definite as yet - but the nurse warned us that in the Doctor's opinion, MIL is no longer capable of looking after herself alone in her home. She's done very for nearly 96 years, so whatever happens from now on, we'll be trying to make her last days/weeks/months as comfortable as we can.

I could ramble on and tell you what gifts I received but as much as I'm delighted with all my gifts this year, it has never felt less like Christmas to us, so I'll leave that for the time being. To wrap this up, this is a photo of Ken's weekend project - a 'build-it-yourself' gazebo. We bought the kit last weekend and this is as far as he got. Looks like a giant spider sitting on the patio. We've invited Some Very Good Friends over for a BBQ on Sunday and I'm hoping that the Male Good Friend might be persuaded to assist in putting the cover over the frame!


Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina and Ken what a couple of days you have had........gosh I can understand it not feeling like Christmas for you. I am so sorry to hear about Ken's mum being rushed into hospital and do hope that she is comfortable.....yes I am working a couple of days this coming week but will contact you both to have some time together before Rob starts yet another busy to you both Lee-ann

Saturday, 27 December, 2008  
Blogger Isabelle said...

You are truly good people, Gina. I hope you have a more relaxing time soon.

Saturday, 27 December, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!