Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bushfire update. It's not over yet.

I know from emails and messages I've received, that a lot of my cyberspace friends are reading my blog (and others) to see what is unfolding in Victoria in relation to the bushfires. I sincerely appreciate the concern of our friends interstate and overseas, and will continue to keep you informed. I know people can get information of all kinds on the net and elsewhere, but I'm endeavouring to provide a condensed version.
This is on the MSN news page today (Tuesday)
Six fires are still burning out of control around the state with another 19 contained fires still burning. The fight to quell the flames continues as police search the wreckage for more victims of Australia's worst bushfire disaster, which has claimed at least 189 lives. Police expect the toll to rise further.

Stable weather conditions for the next two days should help firefighters to build control lines around those bushfires still raging out of control in Victoria.
Containment lines surrounded 85 per cent of the Kinglake Murrindindi Complex and the Bunyip and Beechworth fires were also close to being contained.
The top priority of firefighters on Tuesday will be protecting Melbourne's water catchments from ash with bulldozers used to cut control lines.
"The CFA and DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment) are doing a huge amount of work with water authorities to take the fire out of those areas," a spokesman said. The dams threatened include the Sugarloaf (this reservoir is only a few miles from us), Maroondah, O'Shannassy, Upper Yarra and Yan Yean dams.

So far 1,834 homes have been destroyed, displacing 7,000 individuals, according to the Red Cross statistics. While firefighters are getting on top of the blazes still burning out of control it should be remembered the bushfire season was not over, Country Fire Authority (CFA) director of community safety Lisa Sturzenegger said.
"There's at least another month of summer to come and it's not too late for communities to make their plans because having a plan can save lives," she told reporters. "Fire agencies are scheduling fire ready Victoria meetings across the state."

There are more than 4,500 firefighters still either fighting blazes or containing them, backed by more than 500 army personnel.

4 Comments:

Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi, It is nice to see that most of the fires are now under control. I think the idea of making contingency plans well in advance is good for all of you in threatened areas.

Thursday, 19 February, 2009  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina,, Happy belated Birthday wishes to MIL..What a difference a lot of love and care has made to MIL...

its pleasing to see some of the fires are now under control,, i only hope all the fires will be under control before the weather heats up next week.. forecast 39c here next week.. Take care dear Gina. Jenxxx

Friday, 20 February, 2009  
Blogger Pam said...

Happy belated birthday to MIL from me too. And thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I really enjoy yours too.

I'm sorry to hear that there are still fires. News here has been relatively quiet on the subject over the last week.

Friday, 20 February, 2009  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina,
I hope things continue to improve. HUGS. Hope it stays that way.
-Patty

Monday, 23 February, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!