Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Kookaburras visit us again.


This morning about 8 am, we had eight of these unique birds in our back yard. If you have heard the kookaburra's call, you can just imagine the racket they were making! So I rushed up to the table near the aviaries and put out meat and pet mince, which I'd bought specifically for the birds if they returned. Four or five sat in one tree looking down at me, three were in nearby trees, and one was sitting up on top of the aviaries, much to the consternation of the chooks, who were clucking away madly! There were four on the table at first, but by the time I got my camera, one had flown off.


Not long after that, I went to the front door and saw this: two kookaburras in the dead gumtree in our front garden, accompanied by a single galah, and in a nearby tree, our two 'resident' lorikeets were screeching at them! I said to MIL our neighbours must hate us - it's all our fault these birds are so noisy!

The sky is still full of smoke. Another fire was deliberately lit last night in Belgrave, in the Dandenong Ranges, which has suffered severe fires in past years. It is on the outskirts of Melbourne's suburbs, so the fire was doused very quickly by the authorities.

I heard this on the radio on Sunday and think it bears repeating:
If you push Mother Nature out the window, She will come in the back door with a pitchfork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!