Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A thousand curses.

Curse the truck driver who ran me down 35 years ago, and did this damage to my neck. May his chickens turn into emus and kick his dunny door down.

The latest X-rays of my neck show that some of the vertebrae/discs (whatever the correct term is)have spurs growing on them. Necks are supposed to have a natural curve. Mine is dead straight. Some of the bones are so close together, they are squeezing the nerves (or is it the spinal cord?), which is giving me a kind of neck-sciatica - you know, pins and needles up and down my left arm.

The chiropractor tells me some home truths that I have already figured out for myself: if I leave my neck untreated, eventually it will stiffen up completely, affect all my senses (sight, hearing and smell), digestion, and possibly the loss of feeling in my arms, one or both.

The good news is that with some serious (and expensive) manipulation, while he can't reverse the damage, he can slow down the deterioration process to give me some more useful years. I am to have three treatments a week for a month, two treatments a week for the following month, and a monthly treatment for however long I need it. Oh, and I have to do something myself too - 10 minutes of neck stretching exercises a day. It hurts, and makes me feel a bit nauseous, but I can put up with that if the end result justifies the pain.

I have two messages for you, dear readers.
1. Don't ever have a motor vehicle accident.
2. If you do, be sure and take out the Extras cover in your health insurance. We have claimed more on chiropractic, physiotherapy, myotherapy, dental, optical and podiatry than hospital treatment ever since we took out private insurance.
Thanks, Australian Unity.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

G - you poor thing... I can only howl in pain and frustration along with you... Sorry about yesterday -just when the curve of my smile broadened at the prospect of a semi clean house, washing done, tea sorted and the day to myself the phone rang - it was work to say that they were " a man down" and could I work...

Tuesday, 16 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne S said...

OMG, you're my twin! I've been going to chiro since January and have the same problem in my neck - I've been told it's the start of arthritis, and that we're trying to halt the growth ... at $50 a pop, it's an expensive halting! ;) Hope your chiro goes well, and you notice a good improvement quickly {{hugs}}

Tuesday, 16 June, 2009  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina. Oh I do understand the pain you musr be in Hope the Chiro can help you as did wonders with me. I had a car run into the back of my car me in grimshaw street many years ago ouch aggravated my back low 4/5 disc, went to Chiro Rosanna. before comming to live in Yarra.. Take good care try to rest ..

Tuesday, 16 June, 2009  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you, my sympathetic friends. I have emailed you all separately.
{{{Hugs}}}

Friday, 19 June, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!