Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lost my job.

I am pissed off, to put it politely. My supervisor called me this morning and asked if he could meet me somewhere for a coffee. I thought What??? but said okay and we agreed to meet outside the post office this afternoon at 3.30pm. At 3.15 he called to say he'd been delayed and wouldn't be able to make it, so had to tell me on the phone what he wanted to tell me in person.

I was prepared for the worst - either my client had suddenly died, or he was about to sack me. It was neither of those, but close. My client of two years has a family who have up to now been supportive and approving of my care of their aunt. One family member was responsible for her up until recently, when he became ill and had to hand over the responsibility to some female members of his family. They would barge in on their aunt unannounced, regardless of whether I was feeding her, showering her, or whatever, and demand her immediate attention for whatever it was they were there for.
I'm not backward in coming forward, as my husband puts it, so I didn't hesitate to put them in their place, i.e. tell them to leave the bathroom until I had finished washing my client, and PLEASE close the door to allow her some dignity. I tried to be polite at these times, but apparently I just wasn't nice enough.

My boss told me they had complained to him about my attitude, and said I treated their aunt like a child, so they wanted my service terminated forthwith, like right now. I told him that I wasn't surprised by this, as the staff of the accomodation facility had already told me they were very annoyed by the attitude of my client's family members lately, but like me, they had to 'button their lip'. The lady in question is in her 90's, not well, and very frail. The family insist on taking her out for hours on end, and she is exhausted for days afterwards. That is something else I warned them about, but they said to mind my own business. Well, not in those words, but I got the message.

Boss was apologetic, and I said not to worry, I know it is not his fault, the same as he knows that I'm in the right, but he has to do what his clients instruct him to do, and in this case - get rid of me. I phoned one of the other carers when I got home, and she was horrified. She said "M. will be devastated - she loves you!"
I'm thinking about visiting her in the next few days (when her family won't be around) and explaining to her that it isn't my wish to 'abandon' her. But I have to be careful. In my job, we are not encouraged - in fact we are not ALLOWED to visit clients after our role as their carer is terminated for any reason. I could get the sack if I caused a ruckus. But as I said to a friend tonight, I'm of an age where I really don't care if I upset people who have done something to upset me. If my client finds out her family have got rid of me, and she makes a fuss, they bloody well deserve it. But my boss would also cop recriminations,and that wouldn't be fair, so I will have to give it some thought.

In the meantime, I am now out of work, although my boss said he will see if he can find more work for me, but I don't hold out high hopes, as it is a small company, and they don't get much work in my area.

Sorry about the rant. So go find a more cheerful blog somewhere..

4 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Oh dear, what a shame. For her as well as you.

I'm so sorry.

(No, by the way, I didn't tear the invigilator off a strip. I'm not very good at that sort of thing and anyway, I was too anxious to get the poor girl back into her exam. )

Wednesday, 20 May, 2009  
Blogger FredaB said...

Hi Gina

I am sorry this had to happen to you for both of you. At that age she is probably very easily confused. I just wonder how long even 1 of these female relatives would last taking care of her. I bet not long.

Hopefully something else will develop for you.

Hugs

FredaB

Thursday, 21 May, 2009  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ What a shame for her and for you. It seems like they are hurrying her into her grave. I can't believe they barge into the bathroom.They sound an awful lot. I don't think you should visit her and risk your boss's job and fury, and leave you no new client to care for. Hang in there. I can't believe Ken's luck with his livestock. Matt is living dangerously. Are you sure you don't have a nephew "Little Johnny"?
Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

Thursday, 21 May, 2009  
Blogger Joy V said...

So sorry Gina - at her age your client will be very confused - a pity you can't explain to her what happened - is there someone else who can talk to her for you? I know something else comes your way.

Tuesday, 26 May, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!