Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Have you heard of BookCrossing?

Just before Christmas I went for a walk along the Yarra River with my friend Val. We took photos and did some sketching, and I posted the story here. But I forgot to mention something very interesting that happened while we were strolling along. We found a bench in the shade and went over to sit down, and found a book lying on the seat. Both of us being booklovers, we had the same reaction of “Oh no!! Someone’s left their book behind!” But when Val picked it up, we noticed a printed sticker on the front. It read “I’m not lost, I’m on a journey” with some more writing under that. It turned out to be a book registered with BookCrossing, an organisation whose members deliberately leave books in public places, marked so that they can be identified as a ‘travelling book’. Every book has its own identification number, just as they do in a library. The idea is that you read it, then leave it in another public place for someone else to find and read. If you have access to the Internet, you can register with the website and look up the book you have read, post a comment about where and when you found it, and where you left it afterwards. Apparently there are several million books ‘travelling’ around the world – isn’t that fantastic?

The book we found was “Anne Of Avonlea”, which is the second book in the "Anne Of Green Gables” series. Much to my astonishment, Val hadn’t read it! She was a librarian in a university before she retired, but I guess they wouldn’t have children's classics there. Even so, Val is such a prolific reader, I really thought she would have read it. So I’ve told her I will lend "Anne Of Green Gables" to her and she MUST read it! I’ve passed on the BookCrossing copy of "Anne Of Avonlea" to a lady who lives in a country town. My friend Helen had her sister Shirley staying with her over Christmas, and I popped in to say hi. I was telling them about BookCrossing, and as they are also great readers, I asked Shirley if she’d like to take the book and leave it somewhere in her town when she goes home. She thought it was a great idea, and as she had read "Green Gables", she was keen to read the follow up book.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

How interesting; I'd heard of the scheme but didn't know anyone who'd seen one of the books.

Happy New Year, Gina!

Thursday, 31 December, 2009  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ Have now caught up reading your posts, well done on all that mulch. I hadn't heard about
Bookcrossing, but what a good idea.
There should be more of it. You never know what you and Val will find on your walks.
A very Happy, Healthy New Year to you and Ken, my friend. I hope it's a good one for you both.
Take care, Love, Merle.

Thursday, 31 December, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!