Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Walkabout with Val.

Valerie and I haven't been walking for months. It has been too hot, too cold or too wet, but last Wednesday, it was a perfectly beautiful day so we each packed a picnic lunch and set off for the Fairfield Park Boat House on the Yarra River. Most people living in Melbourne would have heard of this spot, even if they haven't been there. This is Merri Creek, which runs into the Yarra near the Boat House.


From a vantage lookout point, you get a nice view of the Melbourne CBD skyline.


We parked the car in the carpark and set off to walk to Dights Falls. (Click on the link to find out about Dights Falls).
Val, standing on the Yarra river bank. We had our lunch just up from here, under the shade of the tree you can see further up the path.

We had some company for a few minutes!



Dights Falls. Not exactly Niagara, but it's our own little water fall!

This sign gives information about the original inhabitants of the area.

After we'd had our lunch, we strolled back to the Fairfield Park Boat House and sat on the balcony enjoying a cold drink while watching people rowing boats along the river. This cafe has quite a history, so if you have a moment to spare, do click on the link and read about it.


Val set her camera up with the timer delay thing, and we had to squeeze up close to get us both in the photo. Trust me - no other reason -LOL!


We like to sketch when we go out for a walk, and when we were sitting in the cafe, we decided to draw people who were sitting nearby. I'm sure this guy was getting suspicious of me while I was doing this sketch. I was trying not to make it obvious what I was doing, by looking at Val who was sitting opposite me!

5 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Dear Gina ~~ Lots of good photos I
have caught up with. Nice one of you and Val. Please give both Val and Connie my love when you meet for lunch tomorrow. Val and I both barrack for Carlton and I have met Connie several times here.
Thanks again for the definitions as they were good. I don't remember puns and howlers.
I stayed indoors most of today, but thankfully no major fires. Have a wonderful Christmas my friend, and a very Happy New Year in 2010. Love & Hugs, Merle.

Thursday, 17 December, 2009  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Looks like a love day was had ... I haven't been there since I was a kid. Your sketch is great, Gina.

It was wonderful catching up with you and Val today ... we really do need to catch up more often.

Enjoy the remainder of the week, and have a very Merry Christmas.

Love and hugs .... Connie xx

Thursday, 17 December, 2009  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gina.. Nice Photo's of you and Val and great place for a picnic lunch. I used to know this place well My Al played Golf every Saturday at yarra bend for many years with a social club and now and then the wifes would come down have a drink then we would just meander along the path and back again to the boys for more refreshments.. a lovely spot..

Friday, 18 December, 2009  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Gina ~~ I am so glad you and Val and Connie had a lovely day. You find some nice places to visit.
I liked your sketch- you are good to do that in a short time.
I much prefer blogging and am only on Facebook to keep in touch with 10 of my grandkids. I don't like it a bit though. They give trees, animals, hugs, etc etc for their farms etc and pokes -whatever that is. Glad you got your tanks full.
We only got 1 or 2 mm, very little.
Again Merry Christmas. Love and
Hugs, Merle.

Friday, 18 December, 2009  
Blogger Pam said...

How lovely to see warmth - it's unusually chilly here in Edinburgh - a bit of snow - and I can't imagine wanting a cold drink! Thanks for sharing the walk and that sketch - you are really talented.

Saturday, 19 December, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!