Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Garage Sale goodies!

I wasn't sure whether I should post this here, or to the Op Shop blog, but I've been posting a bit there lately, and this isn't op shop stuff, so here it stays.
On Saturday morning, I went to a garage sale around the corner from home. I'd been told about it by a mutual friend, and when I arrived with my friend G in tow late in the morning, we were warmly welcomed. They had been busy earlier, and were about to start clearing up what was left, but waited until we'd checked everything out.
I discovered that the best time to turn up at a garage sale is at the last minute, because the household is desperate to get rid of as much as possible, and will probably drop their prices!
I got all this for $10 - much less than what it should have been if they'd added everything up individually! I guess it helped that they know me too...

One of those little Melamine trays - useful for all kinds of things, not just sandwiches.

As if I haven't got enough tote bags! But who could leave this gorgeous handmade bag behind?

Naturally I pounced on this as soon as I saw it - lovely embroidered suppercloth. I asked the householder if there had been any more and he said that he thinks there were, but they were all sold early in the day. I can just imagine...darn it.

I've got a thing going with half a dozen girlfriends - we buy up second hand books, read them, and pass them on to each other. This looks like an interesting lot. I'm already half way through "Legacies Of Our Fathers", which is a collection of stories by people whose fathers were POWs of the Japanese in WW2. Gut wrenching stuff...

I know someone who loves these Flower Fairies, so I snapped it up in case she'd like it...

This pair of curtains will be perfect for one of our front bedrooms (my craft room), which only has thicker curtains to draw at night. I like to have these as well, to let light in during the day, but allowing some privacy.

When I picked this tattered book up for a closer look, someone standing near me said "Oh, that is a first edition! You should put it on eBay and see what it fetches". Well, I might see if I can find out what it is worth, but I'm enjoying browsing through it, so I'll probably keep it myself regardless.

I LOVE Aussie stuff like this. Don't know how I missed seeing it in our Centenary of Federation Year!

Don't even ASK...I just thought it was cute, so the householder popped it in with everything else while I wasn't looking!!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Those are some great finds! Don't let yourself even think about those other embroidered cloths--I'm sure they were not as nice as the one you found!

Monday, 30 November, 2009  
Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

Gina, I adore the supper cloth and look forward to seeing it in person next weekend........heheheheh! cupcakes you think!!

I love everything you got at the garage sale even if it was late in the day I think you scored well.

hugs Lee-ann

Tuesday, 01 December, 2009  
Blogger FredaB said...

Wow did you hit the jackpot. That fairies book is a collectable also.
Amazing what people want to get rid of but the old saying "what is one person's junk is anothers treasure" is sure right with this bunch of stuff.

Hugs

FredaB

Wednesday, 02 December, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!