Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Nothing of any excitement happening here.

I just noticed that I haven't blogged anything here for nine days. What's the point? There is nothing much happening to blog about right now. Life goes on, Ken is back at work and coping okay with his on-body computer. I am messing around with fabrics and embroidery, and on a roll with the house clean-up that I commenced this year. I am confronting boxes, drawers and cupboards that I haven't opened for years (except to shove something into, and hurriedly slam them shut). The recycle bin has been full to overflowing nearly every fortnight, as I turf out years of magazines that I once subscribed to. A brief moment of "somebody might want this one day", then out they go. If I don't want it any more, you can be damn sure nobody else will!

Cleaning out MIL's house is one of the factors behind my own clean out. But years of working for elderly people in their homes has also had its effect - seeing what they accumulated, and wondering why on earth they didn't get rid of 'all that junk'. Now I know the battle they faced, how difficult it is to part with the tangible memories of your lifetime. But once you start, it gets easier. I have not regretting chucking out one single thing so far. In fact, I can't remember most of it already, which means it wasn't worth keeping so long in the first place!

However, getting rid of my own stuff hasn't stopped me haunting opshops and buying other people's junk! "One man's meat is another man's poison" as the saying goes. If you want to see what I've been picking up, you'll find me on the Op Shop blog, along with other people who love scrounging around in second hand shops!

5 Comments:

Blogger cell said...

ooh you could've donated your old mags to the op shops! i love getting BHG magazines for 50c each from op shops! but yes,i do enjoy throwing stuff away but my husband's a hoarder so we get into conflict sometimes! haha

Friday, 09 July, 2010  
Blogger Pam said...

Ah, yes, stuff... When I retire, I tell myself, I'm going to go through those drawers...

Friday, 09 July, 2010  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gina ~~ Well done on the clean-up
I think my house is beyond a good
shake up.
Many thanks for your message and I was ready to start last night, but the power went off at 9 pm until 2.30am. So I went to bed about 10 and with no electric blanket etc etc, I was darn cold. And my cute
little fingies nearly did drop off.
Take care, dear Gina. Love, Merle.

Friday, 09 July, 2010  
Blogger Finding My Way said...

Hi Gina,
Well I've started to post a wee bit of the trip and other boring dribble if you want to pop over and check it out. It's too much to send in an email. :)
But postting might be a wee bit slow. It's late and I hope to put other stuff up tomorrow.
HUGS,
-Patty
ps: you better not stop posting. I enjoy reading your blog. :)

Saturday, 10 July, 2010  
Blogger Linens and Royals said...

Had a look at your Op Shop blog Gina, now I know why I am buying those pretty cups. It's good to have a clear out of 'stuff' now and then so more 'stuff can be fitted in.
Just watched a show on T.V about hoarders, a bit scarey but I hope we can still be classed as collectors, not hoarders.

Sunday, 11 July, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!