Patra's Other Place

I started out with Patra's Place, primarily dedicated to my linen collection and stitching projects. But I kept getting side-tracked, so I decided to create Patra's Other Place for anything not related to embroidery topics. So you now have a choice. If you are interested in me, read this. If you only want to see my linen and stitching, visit Patra's (original) Place! (Please note that by clicking on any of the photos, they will be enlarged to fill your computer screen.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Vic., Australia

I was married to Ken for 43 years, but he died in October 2022. So I am now alone with two cats, eight hens, and a few finches and parrots in one aviary.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Spring flowers in an Aussie garden.

In the past few weeks, the plants in our back yard have come to life with all the rain we've had lately, so I thought I would photograph some of them to show you. Some of my blog friends overseas have BEAUTIFUL gardens, and might wonder what is so special about my back yard! Well after all these years of drought, it is nothing short of miraculous to see anything flowering at all! While Aussie native plants generally are not as vibrant as European flowers, they suit our landscape. I've got a few 'foreigners' in there too, such as tulips, daffodils and hyacinths. I left it too late to photograph the others, but the tulips have just started blooming, so I took advantage of a fine day to snap them.
This small shrub is a native Boronia. Doesn't look much but the perfume is lovely.
These tulips have multiplied underground since last year! Love the colour.
Small Grevillea shrub called "Firecracker" or something similar because the flowers are bright red and yellow.
This is the top of our Golden Wattle tree, almost at the end of its flowering season. It was stunning in all its golden glory a few weeks ago, but whenever I went outside to take a pic, it was raining!


I can't remember the names of the rest of these shrubs, but they are all indigenous to this area, which is why we planted them.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!